Argentina general manager Carlos Bilardo has revealed in an interview that the future of coach Sergio Batista will be scrutinised in the coming week by the Argentine Football Association [AFA].
The tactician has come under a barrage of criticism from various quarters after Argentina endured a poor Copa America campaign, in which they were dumped out of the competition in the quarter-final stage on penalties by Uruguay.
Batista's advisor Bilardo appeared on radio station Radio Belgrano in an attempt to clarify the coach's position after a previous interview on Friday with La Red, where he remained very tight-lipped on the situation
"Expect to see activity on Monday, it is a matter of waiting." the 1986 World Cup-winner originally said.
However, his coy stance led to reports linking him with discussions with other coaches to possibly replace Batista, as many interpreted that his words meant a decision had been made against the coach.
"All I know is that there is a meeting on Monday in Ezeiza," insisted Bilardo, who on Thursday had met with AFA president Julio Grondona.
"I've said nothing and know nothing. I have not spoken to anyone, not with [Estudiantes coach Miguel Angel] Russo, or with [Al-Jazira coach Alejandro] Sabella."
If a decision is made to sack Batista, Argentina will be looking to appoint their fifth coach in just seven years.