Miguel Funes Mori is irate that Passarella turned down a lucrative offer from Benfica in January, as his son struggles for form and goals in 2011
19-year-old 'El Mellizo' was reportedly the subject of an €8 million bid from Benfica in the new year, as he prepared to play the South American Youth Championships for Argentina in Peru. Passarella rejected the approach, in the hope that the youngster would increase in value with his performances in the Championships and then in the 2011.
Since then Funes Mori has looked desperately short of form, with a disappointing campaign in Peru followed by a national season in which he has so far failed to score and looked short of confidence in front of goal. Father Miguel put the blame firmly at the door of the Millo chief.
"The offer was on the table. River did not want it because Passarella thought that he was going to be worth more," the Funes Mori patriarch told FoxSports on Monday afternoon.
"At that time I told him: 'You are turning it down because you think you can get more. Perfect. But what happens if he goes through the same thing as [Diego] Buonanotte, who was worth €30m at one time and they ended up selling him for four or five?'
"The same could happen to my son, who isn't even worth 200 pesos now," he fired.
Funes Mori added that he wanted the River fans to continue supporting his son, and that Rogelio was currently seeing a therapist to try and end his current slump. The youngster will have another chance to break his scoring drought this weekend against San Lorenzo in another clasico, which can be watched from Europe via LivePrimeraDivision.tv.