Brazilian striker Ronaldo, who lifted the Copa do Brasil with Corinthians on Wednesday, told the press that he wants to renew his contract with the club for a further year in order to participate in the 2010 Copa Libertadores.
"The idea is to continue. We have everything to continue this path. I am fortunate to be part of a fantastic group that received me with open arms. My return to football has been fantastic. I would never have imagined such a thing," said Ronaldo.
The fact that Corinthians will take part in South America's biggest club competition next year gives Ronaldo a further incentive to stay put instead of returning to Europe.
With the Copa do Brasil triumph, Ronaldo lifted his second title in the space of just a few months with Corinthians. Earlier in the year he starred as the Timao won the Paulista State Championship, in which they didn't lose a single game.
Ronaldo has said that now he wants to concentrate on helping Corinthians win their third title of the year, the Campeonato Brasileiro. After this, Ronaldo is likely to set his sights on the Copa Libertadores.
After their Copa do Brasil title triumph, Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the president of Brazil, received Ronaldo and several other members of the Corinthians squad at his presidential palace.
Lula begged the players not to leave Corinthians until they had won the Copa Libertadores. He said, "I hope all those non 'Corinthianos' die of envy."
The president also asked Ronaldo whether he intends to return to European football in the future, and the striker was very clear with his response: "My days in Europe are history."
Gregory Sica, Goal.com