thumbnail Hello,

The left-back does not think that his participation in the upcoming football tournament will pose much of a problem, despite the Blancos' season getting under way at the same time

Marcelo says he foresees no problems in being given permission to represent Brazil at the Olympic Games this summer as he believes Real Madrid will happily grant his request.

The tournament kicks off at the end of July, but previous editions of the summer games have courted controversy as clubs have been generally reluctant to release their players due to the clash with the start of the new football season.

The defender would miss a considerable portion of the Blancos' pre-season preparations while on international duty with the Selecao, but he is adamant that his participation in the competition will be approved.

"It should not be a problem," Marcelo told Globoesporte. "So far, no one has spoken to me.

"I think it is good to have a Madrid player in the Brazil team, which are one of the best in the world."

Marcelo then took the opportunity to clarify the controversy with current national team coach Mano Menezes, an issue which ensued at the beginning of the trainer's spell in charge of the South American nation.

"There were several things I spoke to Mano about," he explained. "We exchanged ideas and worked things out.

"Thank God we have no problem. He always respected me and I always respected him. He has always been a great coach and a man of his word.

"We said some things, but it has now passed. What matters is that I'm happy in the Selecao and he should be happy with the players' performances in recent games.

"The goal is to always give joy to our fans."

Marcelo is expected to feature for Brazil in the friendly against Mexico on Monday 21:00CET.

Related

From the web