Rangers 5-1 Elgin City: Templeton’s debut double helps Ibrox side stroll to victory

The former Hearts man marked his Rangers debut with two goals as Ally McCoist’s side stroll to a comfortable victory over Elgin City to maintain their 100% home record
Rangers new-boy David Templeton continued were he left off at Anfield on Thursday by scoring a double to see his new side comfortably defeat Elgin City.

After going behind to an early Jamie Duff strike, doubles from both Templeton and Lee McCulloch along with a strike from Dean Shiels secured the win for the Light Blues.

Rangers boss Ally McCoist whose side now start a 12 month registration ban from the SFA, preventing the former striker from added to his squad and he was forced into a reshuffle at the back with USA international
Carlos Bocanegra having departed to Racing Santander.

With the home crowd expecting a comfortable afternoon, they were given a shock within the first quarter of an hour as the visitors took the lead. Duff played a short corner to Craig Gunn, then after receiving the ball, took it into the box and from the left hand side curled it beyond Neil Alexander.

However, after Andrew Little had hit the post from a Shiels corner, the former Kilmarnock midfielder got on the scoresheet, as McCulloch’s strike from the edge of the area was deflected into the path of Shiels and the Northern Ireland international made no mistake to draw the hosts level.

The Ibrox side took the lead five minutes later as Templeton got his first goal in a blue jersey as he linked up with former Tynecastle teammate Ian Black, before curling the ball beyond the helpless John Gibson in the Elgin City goal.

After Templeton nearly got his second of the game with a similar strike from the edge of the area, Rangers got their third goal of the game as the winger once again had an effort at goal which Gibson failed to deal with and fell into the path of McCulloch, who slotted home for his 100th career goal.

The second half continued in the same vein, with Templeton getting his second of the game after a corner from the left by Shiels found its way into the path of the 23-year-old and he slammed the ball home for Rangers fourth.

McCoist's side continued their scoring as McCulloch got his second of the game after a superb run down the right by Little, who crossed to find the newly appointed Rangers captain, and he made no mistake from close range.

Rangers continued to press forward, looking to add to their advantage, but unfortunately the chances seemed to dry up for the Ibrox side. They were able to comfortably see out yet another victory at Ibrox to maintain their 100% record at home.