The former Selecao star called on his country to ease the tension of fans by beating Colombia in 90 minutes, and admitted his delight that the tournament has gone to plan so far
The Brazilian is the nation’s fifth highest goalscorer with 39 goals in 75 caps and was part of the team that won their fourth World Cup title in 1994.
With Brazil requiring extra-time and penalties to overcome Chile in their last-16 tie, Bebeto has admitted that the players need to concentrate on doing everything that they can to secure victory in Fortaleza in normal time.
"Now it is the knockout stages, which is another championship. One cannot play for Brazil and not know your responsibility. If we will win, we do not know, but we have a good group focused on their goal, as it has to be, with commitment to wear the shirt,” he told Goal.
“If we win 1-0 then okay, but preferably in normal time, because the heart cannot take it [otherwise].
“Brazil are winning. If we lose, I would say that the boys were not prepared. The boys are doing everything to bring us the sixth [World Cup title].
“Football has changed a lot, even with the running of it too. With this globalisation, we all know how Brazil play, the other teams know how to play them, then all matches are tough and many have gone into extra-time. And that's going to be so until the end.”
Bebeto, who turned to politics following his retirement from football, is part of Rio's World Cup organising committee.
With the build-up to the tournament in Brazil being marred by protests over the cost of hosting the competition and fears about the possibility of the stadia not being ready in time, the 50-year-old has admitted that he was relieved the World Cup had gone to plan.
“As a member of LOC, I can say that I am very satisfied, especially with regards to the stadia, including the Parana, which most scared us, but I always believed that we had time,” Bebeto said.
“Thank God it was all right, we could deliver the stadium of Parana, Atletico Paranaense, and everything is a success.
Luiz Felipe Scolari’s team will be hoping win their record sixth World Cup on home soil this summer but will first have to defeat Colombia in their quarter-final match in Fortaleza on Friday.