thumbnail Hello,

The 63-year-old will take his time before deciding whether to stay on as Spain boss following their shocking World Cup campaign

By Pilar Suarez in Curitiba

Vicente del Bosque has reiterated he will consider what’s best for Spanish football before deciding his own future.

The 63-year-old’s role as Spain coach has been called into question following the world champions' group-stage exit from the 2014 tournament in Brazil.

In the immediate aftermath of Wednesday’s 2-0 defeat to Chile, which confirmed their elimination, the former Real Madrid boss, who has two years left on his existing deal, admitted he would take his time before determining whether to stay on.

And he repeated the same message on Friday, telling a press conference: "We still have a game to play in the competition. It is not the time to talk about my future. We will decide what is best for the [Spanish Football] Federation.

"I’ll try to do the right thing with the Federation that has always treated me well. I’m a defender of the Federation and football. I want things to work well. If I thought I was disturbing the Federation then I would certainly leave.

"In September we begin the qualifying period for the European Championship and the only thing I want is that our sport keeps functioning in the correct manner. Therefore, we will make the right decision."

The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) say they hope he stays on as coach.

"We have still not talked with Del Bosque. It's better to put it off and talk calmly in Madrid,” RFEF secretary general Jorge Perez told El Partido de las 12 earlier on Friday.

"When Del Bosque signed the contract [earlier this year] he said that if for any reason we decided he should not continue, he would go. I want him to continue.

"Del Bosque has not offered his resignation. If he does, we'll ask him to continue."

There have been also reports of rifts in the Spain camp – earlier today Santi Cazorla rubbished claims from fellow midfielder Xabi Alonso that the players had lacked hunger.

Del Bosque, however, is adamant that the players get along just fine.

"We have been concentrated for 26 or 27 days, the relationship [between the players] is fantastic," he added.

"We are in a situation where we don’t find footballing reasons for our exit and that’s why we look for something else.

"We must accept that our two opponents – Chile and Netherlands – were superior than us."

Del Bosque admitted he may have made an error in dropping Barcelona veteran Xavi for the Chile game.

"He didn’t play the other day – and maybe it was a mistake – because we wanted to insert some pace into the midfield.

"That’s the reason we left him on the bench, not because he was at fault for the Netherlands defeat."

Related

From the web