thumbnail Hello,

Martino: Barcelona not taking any risks with Iniesta

The Argentine coach will ensure his star midfielder is completely fit before throwing him back into first team football

Barcelona coach Gerardo Martino says the Catalans will not be taking any risks with Andres Iniesta as the Spain international recovers from a hamstring complaint.

The midfielder missed last week's 4-1 Copa del Rey win over Cartagena due to injury, while he also remained on the bench for Barca's 6-1 Champions League win over Celtic on Wednesday evening.

Nevertheless, Martino has now revealed that the 29-year-old is on his way back again and could start versus Villarreal at the weekend.

"Iniesta was on the bench against Celtic because he is coming back from injury and we didn't want to take any unnecessary risks," Martino said at a press conference.

"I might have played him if we needed a good result, but that was not the case.

"He is already feeling better again now, though. He has been training well and is approaching peak condition."

Martino also had his say on Neymar following his hat-trick against Celtic and insisted that the Brazilian can deal with the pressure.

"I would love to take away some of the pressure on him. But I am not the one going out there on the pitch and I don't really have much influence on what happens there.

"He is used to dealing with the pressure and has been coping with it very well."

Neymar has netted four goals in 13 Liga appearances so far this season.

Related

From the web