How does Wazza's brilliant winner in the Manchester derby compare to previous overhead kicks this season?
"I saw it come into the box and thought 'why not?' Thankfully it finished up in the top corner. I was trying to get in a good position for when Nani crossed it. Nine time out of 10 they go over the crossbar. Today it ended up in the top corner. It is instinct. You don't have time to think about it." These are the words of Wayne Rooney, whose incredible overhead kick today sealed a 2-1 win over Manchester City.
Asked whether or not the acrobatic golazo was the best goal of his career, Rooney responded, "I think so." His famous volley against Newcastle was always going to take some beating...
But, was Rooney's the best overhead kick seen this season?
It most probably was but there have been a fair few similar goals. Here are the top 10 (in chronological order) overhead kicks of the season so far. Check them out and then place your vote at the foot of the page...
1. Wayne Rooney (Manchester United v Manchester City, February 12, 2011) Plenty to love about this goal, including the fact England number 1 Joe Hart didn't even move. A goal for the ages at Old Trafford and one Manchester United fans will treasure for ever as Wazza finally stepped up to the plate in 2010/2011.
2. Amauri (Parma v Fiorentina, February 6, 2011) It has been difficult for Amauri at Juventus this season as the big target man has taken a lot of stick for the Old Lady's woes. He showed that he can still score with this goal on loan at Parma - a terrific finish.
3. Diego Pais (Herediano v Cartagines, February 6, 2011) A true "goal you won't have seen" as Pais notched this acrobatic effort, from a tight angle, in Costa Rica.
4. Wesley Sonck (Lierse v Genk, December 18, 2010) The 32-year-old striker is still banging them in for Lierse and what gives Sonck's effort a little more kudos is the fact it came in the snow and with an orange ball.
5. Eren Zahavi (Lyon v Hapoel Tel Aviv, December 7, 2010) A little known Israeli midfielder etched his name into the history books with one of the greatest acrobatic goals scored in the history of the Champions League.
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (AC Milan v Fiorentina, November 20, 2010) The super Swede makes regular appearances on lists like these and he has been in excellent form since leaving the Nou Camp for the San Siro. With this goal Ibrahimovic also won the match, 1-0 against the Viola.
7. Dimitar Berbatov (Manchester United v Liverpool, September 19, 2011) The second of a hat-trick for the silky Bulgarian as he guided United to a 3-2 win over their great rivals. Incredible to think that Old Trafford has seen two incredible overhead kick goals like this and Rooney's against their two great rivals in one season.
8. Charles Nevuche (Zakarpattia v Dnister, September 18, 2011) Another "great goal you won't have seen" from the Ukranian second division as Nevuche produced a brilliant one-touch finish.
9. Jari Litmanen (FC Lahti v AC Oulo, September 18, 2010) The 39-year-old former Ajax and Liverpool forward showed that he can still score brilliant overhead kick goals despite his advancing years.
10. Cleo (Partizan Belgrade v Hajduk Kula, September 4, 2010) Brazilian born Cleo was in sensational form at the start of the season as this clip proves.