Mexico cut Jonathan Dos Santos from their World Cup roster on Monday.Jonathan Dos Santos was seemingly being groomed for the future. When he debuted for El Tricolor in a friendly in 2009, one of Mexico's future stars was seemingly taking his first steps towards a long and prosperous career with the national team.
However prosperous it turns out, that career will not include the 2010 World Cup.
Dos Santos was the last player cut from the Mexican national team as the youngster was cut from El Tri, the Mexican . Mexico finalized their World Cup roster ahead of the June 1 deadline, and the Barcelona product was the last casualty.
"Jonathan is a 20-year-old player, with a lot of future, and professionalism," FMF executive Nestor De La Torre said in a press conference in Germany. "In this case, his dream did not come true."
Dos Santos played his first game with Mexico on Sept. 30 in a 2-1 loss to Colombia. This year, Dos Santos saw action in four games. His hopes for the World Cup seemed high after he started and had a strong performance in a 2-0 win over New Zealand at the Rose Bowl on March 3. He also played against North Korea two weeks later in Torreon.
Injury, however, slowed him down over the last month but he still got in Mexico's game against the Netherlands on May 26, a 2-1 loss, and played all 90 minutes in Mexico's 5-1 win over Gambia.
Dos Santos was seen as a possible starter in the midfield. Instead, his absence will be felt by his teammates, not just his brother, De La Torre said.
"Not only for Giovani is this a blow but for the whole group," De La Torre insisted. "Whenever a teammate leaves, a teammate with whom you've spent time with, joke around with, work with and help out, it hurts. More than that, they're brothers. For that we have to support them at all times."
De La Torre also said Jonathan Dos Santos' future is still bright and could include the 2011 Copa America, 2012 Summer Olympics and the Pan-American Games.
The final choice was tough but not something that should have been surprising, De La Torre said.
"These are not pleasant decisions, but they are professional decision of which all players were aware since the beginning," De La Torre said. "The decision is Javier's along with the coaching staff. They made the determination of which players to leave behind in Mexico as well as now."
For more on Mexico click ahead to Goal.com's Mexico page and join Goal.com USA's Facebook fan page!