Hull City Stay Up Despite Defeat To Manchester United

United’s youngsters had too much for the Tigers but results elsewhere means Brown’s men are safe.

Hull City 0-1 Manchester United
A super strike by Manchester United youngster Darron Gibson handed Hull City defeat at the KC Stadium, yet results elsewhere mean the Tigers will be playing Premier League football next season.

With top-flight salvation the order of the day, Phil Brown made one change for the visit of Manchester United with Dean Marney replacing Manucho.

United, as expected, fielded a much-changed side with Darren Fletcher, Gary Neville, Wes Brown and Nani featuring alongside the likes of Danny Welbeck, Lee Martin, Darron Gibson and Federico Macheda.

Perhaps boosted by the visitors’ starting line-up Hull began the game brightly and carved out some decent openings.

Craig Fagan was the first to go close, profiting from a long-ball that outfoxed Gary Neville.

However, the striker’s first touch was poor and allowed goalkeeper Tomas Kuszczak to claim ahead of him.

Minutes later and Geovani was causing problems for the much-shuffled United defence.

The Brazilian fizzed in a cross from the left but unfortunately for Phil Brown’s men he couldn’t find a team-mate which allowed Wes Brown at the far post to clear.

Yet slowly United began to piece some moves together and came close themselves with Nani stinging Boaz Myhill’s palms from a free-kick

However, mid-way through the first half the visitors went one better and did finally take the lead with a wonderful strike by young Darron Gibson.

The midfielder picked up the ball on the left of the box and took a touch before lashing home a wonderful shot which flew past a helpless Myhill.

Minutes later and the Sir Alex Ferguson’s side almost doubled their lead with Federico Macheda almost netting from close range but the Italian was unable to beat Myhill.

Yet the visitors were not having it all their own way and Hull might have grabbed a crucial equaliser on the half-hour mark.

A cross in from the left found Michael Turner who connected superbly with the ball but he couldn’t keep his header on target.

The chances continued to come with Macheda again going close ten minutes before the break.

The youngster picked up a flick-on from Danny Welbeck and beat his defender before firing a low shot which flew inches past Myhill’s post.

Yet back Hull came with Geovani out wide on the left pulling the ball back to Michael Dawson who thundered an effort goalwards, forcing Kuszczak to tip over the bar.

Despite being a goal down at the break Phil Brown’s half-time team talk would have been made easier by the news that Newcastle United were losing at the break but it appeared to do little to rouse his side.

United began the second-half brightly and twice went close in the opening moments with Fletcher just denied at the last, before Turner was forced to clear Rafael’s cross only yards in front of his own goalkeeper.

However, Hull also had a chance with Nick Barmby almost heading home at the far post but Kuszczak managed to block his effort.

With time running out in the second half the home side attempted to ramp up the pressure but in truth they struggled to trouble United who looked comfortable in defence whilst still posing a threat on the break.

Yet despite slumping to defeat there were still celebrations around the KC Stadium at the final whistle.

Newcastle's defeat to Aston Villa means that the Tigers stay up, by a solitary point, with Alan Shearer’s men joining Middlesbrough and West Bromwich Albion in the Championship next season.

Hull: Myhill, Ricketts, Turner, Kilbane, Dawson, Garcia (Cousin, 82), Marney, Boateng, Barmby (Mendy, 68), Geovanni (Folan, 54), Fagan.

Man Utd: Kuszczak, Rafael Da Silva (Eckersley, 60), Neville, Brown, De Laet (Possebon, 79), Nani, Fletcher, Gibson, Welbeck (Tosic, 87), Martin, Macheda.


0-1 Manchester United (Gibson, 24)

Gill Clark,