Some of the biggest names in Europe can make their way to the knockout stages of the Continent's elite club competition this week, while others are fighting for their lives
Twelve teams will be aiming to join Manchester United
in the last 16 on matchday five of the Champions League
Paris Saint-Germain, Arsenal, Schalke, AC Milan, Borussia Dortmund, Real Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Valencia, Barcelona and Celtic can all qualify for the knockout stages in what is sure to be another fascinating round of fixtures.
Several sides, including
PSG and BVB, know that victory alone will be enough to secure their passage, while the Rossoneri
and Los Blancos
, among others, will have to win and rely on results elsewhere.
Of course, there are teams who are fighting for their lives in the competition; the champions of France and England - Montpellier and Manchester City - are staring down the barrel, while big-spending Zenit St Petersburg are also on the verge of an embarrassing exit.
There are sure to be a number of twists and turns as the group stages head for the home straight, so make sure you keep on top of every possible outcome with Goal.com's
comprehensive list of permutations.
- Porto have qualified for the last 16, but can secure top spot if they beat Dinamo Zagreb and PSG fail to beat Dynamo Kiev.
- Paris Saint-Germain can secure qualification to the last 16 if they get at least a point in Kiev.
- Dinamo Kiev can guarantee Europa League qualification at least if they beat PSG, or if Dinamo Zagreb lose.
- Dinamo Zagreb have been eliminated from the Champions League.
- Schalke can progress to the last 16 if they beat Olympiakos.
- Arsenal can do likewise if they defeat Montpellier.
- Olympiakos can secure Europa League football at least if they beat Schalke.
- Montpellier will be eliminated from the Champions League if they lose to Arsenal, or if they draw in London and Olympiakos beat Schalke.
- Malaga have qualified for the last 16, but can secure top spot if they get at least a point against Zenit St Petersburg.
- AC Milan can also make the knockout stages if they beat Anderlecht and Zenit fail to beat Malaga.
- Anderlecht can qualify for the Europa League at least if they beat AC Milan and Zenit lose to Malaga.
- Zenit will be eliminated if they fail to beat Malaga and AC Milan beat Anderlecht.
- Borussia Dortmund can qualify for the last 16 if they get a point against Ajax, and will secure top spot if they win and Real Madrid fail to beat Manchester City.
- Real Madrid can also secure a place in the knockout stages if they beat Manchester City and Ajax fail to beat Borussia Dortmund.
- Madrid could even draw and still qualify, so long as Ajax lose against Borussia Dortmund.
- Ajax can clinch Europa League football at least if they beat Borussia Dortmund and Manchester City do not win against Real Madrid.
- But Ajax will be eliminated from the Champions League if Real Madrid win and the Dutch side fail to emerge victorious.
- Manchester City will be ejected from European competition if they lose to Real Madrid and Ajax get at least a point against Borussia Dortmund.
- City could also suffer a similar fate if they do not beat Real Madrid.
- Shakhtar can qualify for the last 16 if they beat Nordsjaelland, and Chelsea beat Juventus.
- Chelsea will secure a place in the knockout stages if they win against Juventus.
- The top three sides will be assured of Europa League football at least if Nordsjaelland do not beat Shakhtar.
- Nordsjaelland will be eliminated from European competition if they fail to beat Shakhtar.
- Valencia and Bayern Munich will both qualify for the last 16 if they draw, and Lille beat BATE.
- Bayern will qualify if they beat Valencia and BATE fail to beat Lille.
- Valencia will reach the knockout stages if they beat Bayern, or if Lille beat BATE due to a superior head-to-head record.
- BATE can secure Europa League qualification at least if they get a point against Lille.
- Lille have been eliminated from the Champions League.
- Barcelona will qualify for the last 16 if they beat Spartak Moscow.
- Barcelona can go through as group winners if they win and Benfica get at least a point against Celtic.
- Celtic can qualify for the last 16 if they beat Benfica.
- Benfica will secure Europa League football at least if they beat Celtic.
- Spartak Moscow will be eliminated from European competition if they lose and Benfica beat Celtic.
- Manchester United have qualified as group winners.
- Cluj will be eliminated from the Champions League if they lose to Braga and Galatasaray beat Manchester United.
- Braga will be knocked out of European competition if they lose to Cluj, and Galatasaray beat Manchester United.