In a bizarre turn of events the Confederation of African Football on Friday expressed disappointment with Thursday's announcement by the South African FA that it is to replace Libya as host of the 2013 African Cup of Nation tournament, labelling the news as premature and upsetting.
According to Kickoff.com , Caf's general secretary Hicham El Amrani said an agreement between South Africa and Libya to swap the dates of future tournaments they are to host still needa to be approved by the continent’s football governing body. The Caf executive committee is set to meet late next month in the Egyptian capital, Cairo.
"We are disappointed that the South African Football Association has chosen to make public these discussions and plans before the matter is discussed by our executive committee," El Amrani said.
"It would have been correct to have waited until it is discussed and ratified. It is premature and it has upset us that there has been this breach of protocol."
South Africa, who hosted the 1996 Afcon publicised an agreement with Libya over the hosting of the 2013 and 2017 finals. They released a surprise brief statement on their website.
Libya were due to host the 2013 finals but have swapped with the South Africa, who had been designated the 2017 event, after discussions between the two countries' football associations.
The civil war situation in Libya which began back in March has halted almost all footballing activities and destroyed the infrastructure in the country as rebels attempt to overthrow the regime of Muammar Gaddafi.