The former Real Madrid striker, now 34, is said to be keen on signing a new deal with the Bundesliga outfit but he is reportedly holding out for a two-year contractRaul has admitted that he has received "a good offer" from Schalke to extend his stay in Gelsenkirchen but revealed that it will be his family who will decide if he will commit himself to the club.
The Spaniard’s current contract with the Bundesliga outfit expires at the end of the season but he has previously expressed his desire to sign a new deal.
However, Raul, speaking ahead of Schalke’s Europa League quarter-final second-leg clash with Athletic Bilbao, claimed that there is one other significant factor in the equation.
"I have got a good offer from Schalke,” the legendary striker told reporters on Wednesday evening. “But my family will decide [what I do].”
Addressing his side’s meeting with Athletic at San Mames, Raul admitted that Schalke have it all to do after losing 4-2 at home to Marcelo Bielsa’s men last week.
"We were superior for 70 minutes at home but tomorrow we must be even better,” he acknowledged. “We have to score three goals, so it will be exciting.”
According to reports, Schalke have offered Raul a one-year contract extension worth €4 million but the alleged sticking point is that the former Real Madrid ace wants to sign on for two seasons.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.