The 32-year-old, who hasn't played for the Taeguk Warriors since the 2010 World Cup, has been in exceptional form in 2011, with 16 goals and 15 assists in the K-League with leaders Jeonbuk Motors.
The former Middlesbrough striker's recall to the national team came following his four-goal haul in last week's 6-1 AFC Champions League quarter-final victory over Cerezo Osaka.
Lee was named as a late replacement in the Korea squad for Cerezo's Kim Bo-Kyung who suffered a facial fracture in that match.
Korea coach Cho Kwang-Rae has previously favoured youth, but Lee's form couldn't be ignored and now the veteran believes he can play in Brazil in 2014.
“Compared to the past, the average playing period of a player has increased,” Lee told reporters.
“By maintaining my strength on the field, I’d like to continue to play for the national team and If I continue like that, who knows, maybe I can make the 2014 World Cup.”
Cho added that Lee, who is the oldest player in the current Korea squad, was getting better as a striker.
“Lee’s scoring ability is on the rise nowadays. His movement in the danger zones is sharp, which makes him capable of creating chances to score rather than depending on others," Cho said.
“I’ve given much thought to selecting Lee in the past. And as Kim is unable to play, I made the decision that it would be good to have a new type of striker.”
Cho added ahead of Friday's clash with Poland, that Lee would be given a chance to impress in the game.
“When Lee takes the field as the frontline striker, then we will put forwards on wings who can best supplement him,” Cho said.
He added: “Lee has been in great form of late. He will show younger players how to play and his presence and attitude will help boost the morale of the team.”
Goal_asia now has its own account, so for all the latest news and features on Asian football follow us.