Malaysia Suffer Stadium Roof Collapse

The new Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium's roof in Malaysia's East Coast has fallen in...
The Malaysian city of Kuala Terengganu has suffered a stadium incident at one of it's newest stadiums, with the Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin Stadium's roof collapsing just one year after being completed.

No one was hurt, but a car and four motorcycles that were parked outside the stadium were damaged.

The Terengganu Fire and Rescue Department were called at around 9:45am on June 2, and sent three fire trucks to assist.

The department's director Pauzan Ahmad had estimated that that one third of the stadium's roof, which runs about 80 metres, collapsed, when in fact around half the stadium's roof collapsed.

A witness, electrician Hanafiah Osman, 27, whose car was damaged in the incident, revealed he was working on a lamp post outside the stadium when he heard a loud cracking.

Speaking to The New Straits Times Online, "I turned around in time to see it crashing down. I was frightened but at the same time wanted to save my Perodua Kancil until I saw it crushed. Most of my colleagues just stood in awe over the whole thing."

The stadium was given a safety assurance by State Public Works Department. State PWD director Rosly Zainal, who refused to comment on the events.

Terengganu Menteri Besar Datuk Ahmad Said has since announced that an independent consultant will be appointed to investigate the incident.

"When it was used for the Malaysian Sports games (Sukma) a temporary Certificate of Fitness was given by the Public Works department, although none is required for a government building," he commented.

The collapse is thought to cost RM25 million to repair, which is equal to around £4.5 million, and Ahmad stated that a Korean contractor constructed the RM292 million roof for the stadium, but refused to elaborate on this.

"We don't have the details of why and how it happened but we will wait until the investigations are over," said Ahmad.

Ahmad has also said that the stadium will be closed until the investigations and repairs are completed.

Nick Turner,