The French boss confirmed he is still trying to improve his squad but also said he believes the current crop at the Emirates Stadium are capable of mounting a title challengeArsenal boss Arsene Wenger has confirmed he is still trying to strengthen his squad this summer but insists his current group of players can mount a title challenge without reinforcements.
Goal exclusively revealed last Tuesday that Arsenal launched an improved £42 million offer for Luis Suarez after seeing their first bid rejected, with the forward later stating his desire to leave Anfield this summer.But despite the large amount of funds available to Wenger, so far Arsenal have only signed France Under-21 striker Yaya Sanogo on a free transfer, though the Gunners boss says he is confident of success even if no new players arrive this summer.
|150/1||Yaya Sanogo is 150/1 with William Hill to be the Premier League's top scorer
"That is why what we do is unique. Look at our competitors, who in the last 10 years has started for them in the Premier League and is still there now?
"I believe my squad have a special bond and that they are on their way upwards, they are not over the hill, they will get better. I am confident we will be stronger next season."
The Frenchman also commented on what he believes to be an advantage for Arsenal going into next season. The 63-year-old is now the longest serving boss in the top flight and he believes it gives him the edge after a summer of managerial upheaval.
"It gives me a slight advantage because I know my squad well," Wenger claimed. "It will take my rivals some time to know theirs, except Jose Mourinho, who knows some of his from before.
"But we should focus on our strengths rather than expect any weakness from the others.
"It is important to have a strong start and raise belief. Last season when we lost Robin van Persie we had a sceptical environment around the club. We need the crowd to be behind the team."