The speculation around Neymar's potential move from Santos to Real Madrid hit new heights this week but details have emerged to show just how close the teenage sensation was to joining the Bernabeu outfit as a 13-year-old.
Last week it was revealed that only contractual issues prevented Neymar from securing a move to his 'dream' club and archive footage has revealed the player's thoughts on the failed 2005 transfer.
The Brazilian forward, now 19, travelled to Madrid with his father and agent Wagner Ribeiro, who was finalising Robinho's move to the capital city club.
Robinho was also represented by Ribeiro and the agent was keen to showcase the talents of Santos' latest young prodigy.
"It seems the Real Madrid dream is a reality," a 13-year-old Neymar told ESPN Brazil in 2005.
"I went to the game against Deportivo La Coruna. It was 4-0. I was in the VIP box, just below the president [Florentino Perez]."
And the player's father, Neymar Silva Santos, said Madrid pulled out all the stops to impress the family.
"We were invited to come over and look at the facilities," he told ESPN.
"We had a car available to travel to the training sessions. Neymar met all of the players, took part in the training sessions; the doors were completely open."
However, those doors were soon closed as contractual difficulties prevented a move from materialising.
Six years later, though, Neymar's 'dream' transfer to Madrid could become reality after all. Italian transfer agent, Ernesto Bronzetti, disclosed on Tuesday that a deal between the two sides was 'practically done' and the prodigy would move to the Chamartin outfit on a five-year contract.
Neymar, currently preparing for Wednesday's Copa Libertadores final first-leg against Penarol in Montevideo, has been tight-lipped on his future this week.