The Reds' inspiring victory over Carlo Ancelotti's side topped the chart, beating Manchester United's last minute winner in 1999 and Zinedine Zidane's glorious goal in 2002
The credit card company asked thousands of football fans to vote for their favourite moments from European football’s showpiece tournament across the last two decades.
It was the gripping final nine years ago in Istanbul that topped the list. Liverpool looked dead and buried as they went in 3-0 down to Carlo Ancelotti's AC Milan at half-time. However, Rafael Benitez's side fought back in remarkable fashion, scoring three goals in the space of six minutes to take the clash into extra time before winning it on penalties.
That glorious final was voted the best moment, beating off Manchester United's last-gasp rally against Bayern Munich to claim the trophy in 1999 and Zinedine Zidane's magnificent volley to win the tournament for Real Madrid against Bayer Leverkusen in 2002.
Javier Perez, president of MasterCard commented: "The tournament has delivered countless priceless moments over the past 20 years and the fans have been there all the way, so it’s fantastic to be able to get their opinion on the greatest moments."
The top five Champions League moments are:
1. Liverpool’s comeback against AC Milan in Istanbul in the 2005 Final;
2. Manchester United’s last minute victory vs Bayern Munich in the 1999 Final;
3. Zinedine Zidane’s volleyed goal against Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 Final;
4. Barcelona’s victory over Manchester United in the 2011 Final;
5. Ronaldinho’s goal for Barcelona against Chelsea in March 2005.