thumbnail Hello,

The Bianconeri can go eight points clear of the second-placed Giallorossi with a victory in Turin, but the Azzurri coach says the Serie A title race would still be alive

Italy boss Cesare Prandelli does not believe that Juventus would effectively seal a third successive Scudetto by beating Roma on Sunday.

The Bianconeri currently top the Serie A standings by five points from the undefeated Giallorossi, meaning a win in Turin would put eight points between the sides after 18 rounds of action.

Prandelli freely admits it would represent a significant lead but he still feels that both Roma and indeed third-placed Napoli could still turn things around.

"[Sunday's game] will decide little because there's still an entire half [of the calendar] to play," the Azzurri coach told Corriere dello Sport. "Even if Juve win. Eight points is a lot to recover but it's still not too much.

"Napoli can even take an indirect advantage out of the game in Turin. Napoli have a strong squad, with a great forward like [Gonzalo] Higuain."

Prandelli also believes that while Juventus are the clear title favourites, undefeated Roma have already shown this season that under new coach Rudi Garcia anything is possible.

"Juventus have the most complete squad and the one most used to victory," he conceded.

"But I know that in and around Rome there was not only a new atmosphere, but a new idea.

"Since [Garcia] arrived, in the capital one speaks only of football, of a style of play, of going for first place. Their results are a consequence of this work.

"There's been an end to the controversy, of unhelpful comments, of stories about the squad. This happens when there is a clarity of ideas.

"Garcia's Roma is a team with an idea and an objective and they don't get influenced by anything or anyone."

There has also been talk that fit-again Roma captain Francesco Totti could yet earn a recall to the Italy squad - despite having retired from the international game after the country's 2006 World Cup success.

However, Prandelli is reluctant to jinx the Giallorossi attacker again, with the 37-year-old having suffered an injury not long after the idea was first raised earlier in the season.

"The last time that we spoke about this possibility we didn't bring him good fortune," the former Fiorentina boss pointed out.

"Now we should leave him in peace, to quietly get back on with his campaign. Then, we'll see."

Related

From the web