The Italy international was left out of the the Giallorossi squad for the game in Bergamo amidst reports that he had turned up late for a team meeting.
The Corriere dello Sport is now alleging that De Rossi was left utterly bemused by his omission and sent a text to former Roma team-mate Christian Panucci saying: "This is crazy!"
However, after linking up with the Azzurri for Wednesday's friendly against USA, the 28-year-old insisted that he could understand and appreciate just why he had been banished him to the stands.
"Did I have to apologise? No. How did it go? My coach said that things remain in the dressing room and I will follow this line," De Rossi told reporters at Coverciano on Monday.
"But there is nothing to hide: I am part of a group in which all are treated equally.
"I have always spoken highly of Luis Enrique and I will continue to do so. He is a good person and I like that everyone is equal in his eyes.
"Of course, Sunday was not a positive, but what I want to say is that there has been no quarrel; I was just a bit inattentive.
"The coach has made his decision and I trust him, but now we must concentrate on the upcoming games, which are very important.
"We have the derby match [this weekend] but also other some other crucial games in terms of our season."
De Rossi was heavily linked with a move away from Roma at the end of the season but the 28-year-old recently penned a bumper new deal with the club, claiming at the time that Luis Enrique had played a key role in his decision to extend his contract with the Roman outfit.
How do you stay up to date with football when on the move? With http://m.goal.com – your best source for mobile coverage of the beautiful game.