Milan fans are bracing themselves for another high-profile defection as Andrea Pirlo looks set to reunite with Carlo Ancelotti at Chelsea.
The former Diavoli boss has made no secret of his desire to lure Pirlo to Stamford Bridge and the Corriere dello Sport today claims that the 30-year-old said his goodbyes to his friends and colleagues at Inter after last Sunday’s Derby della Madonnina clash in Boston.
“This was my last derby game,” he reportedly said.
Press reports suggest that the Premier League giants have seen a €14.5 million bid, which also included the services of Claudio Pizarro and the loan of Michael Mancienne, rejected earlier this week.
But there is room to negotiate and discussions between the parties are expected to continue in the coming days.
Pirlo is tied to the San Siro outfit until June 2011 on wages of €5m-a-year, but he has allegedly been offered a four-year deal by Chelsea worth €6.5m-per-season.
Milan have already parted with Brazilian superstar Kaka this summer - the 27-year-old joined Spanish powerhouse Real Madrid in a €67.5m deal.
Vince Masiello, Goal.com