thumbnail Hello,

League Cup

  • October 26, 2011
  • • 19:45
  • • Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton, West Midlands
  • Referee: N. Swarbrick
  • • Attendance: 12436

Wolves 2-5 Manchester City: Quickfire goals from Johnson, Nasri & Dzeko overturn early lead as Mancini’s ruthless side dominate hosts

Wolves 2-5 Manchester City: Quickfire goals from Johnson, Nasri & Dzeko overturn early lead as Mancini’s ruthless side dominate hosts

Getty Images

Despite the Blues making 11 changes to their team, they still proved too good for Mick McCarthy's men who are coming under increasing pressure from the fans

A rampant Manchester City continued their impressive run of form as they defeated Wolves 5-2 to reach the quarter-finals of the League Cup.

Wolves went one up with a goal by Nenad Milijas but a double from Edin Dzeko, and goals from Adam Johnson, Samir Nasri and Luca Scapuzzi settled the affair.

Both teams looked energetic from the start but it was the hosts who looked the dominant force early on. Stephen Hunt linked up well with Stephen Ward on the left flank and crossed a fizzing ball to David Edwards, who headed over.

The pressure eventually paid off for Wolves as they bagged the first goal of the night in the 18th minute. Vokes showed good skill on the right and crossed a low ball into the feet of Milijas, who smashed the ball past the helpless Costel Pantilimon.

Wolves then capitulated their lead as City scored three goals in quick succession. With ten minutes remaining before half time, Zabaletta found Dzeko who unselfishly fed the ball to Johnson on the edge of the box. The England international rifled the ball past De Vries.

Nasri then put the Blues in front, confidently firing into the bottom left of the goal after being fed by Johnson.

Minutes later, Johnson, who clearly was intent to make an impression, was involved again. He crossed a cracking ball into the far post and, after Scapuzzi’s effort was saved, Dzeko put away the rebound.

Within five minutes of the second half, Wolves problems were exacerbated as City grabbed their fourth of the game. Kolarov found himself in acres of space down the left flank, crossed the ball to Nasri, but after his shot was saved, Scapuzzi squeezed the ball into the net.

A terrific flowing move provided the fifth, with Dzeko finishing from two yards.

McCarthy’s men refused to surrender and kept playing with a high intensity. In an attempt to get back into the game, under-fire McCarthy brought on two substitutes: Jamie O’Hara and Karl Henry, and it was the former who made an immediate impact. Ward picked out the midfielder from the left flank, and the substitute clinically slotted the ball past the young Romanian keeper.

City ended the game with another resounding victory, however. The match acted as a prelude to the Premier League fixture between the two teams taking place on Saturday, which Roberto Mancini's men will start as red-hot favourites to win.