thumbnail Hello,

League Cup

  • October 26, 2011
  • • 19:45
  • • Britannia Stadium, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
  • Referee: L. Probert
  • • Attendance: 24934

Stoke City 1-2 Liverpool: Brilliant double from Luis Suarez sends Reds into League Cup quarter-finals

Stoke City 1-2 Liverpool: Brilliant double from Luis Suarez sends Reds into League Cup quarter-finals

Getty Images

The Uruguayan was again the match-winner for the Reds as his two goals helped Dalglish's men come from a goal down, after Kenwyne Jones had given Pulis' men the lead

Luis Suarez’s brilliance proved to be the difference between Liverpool and Stoke  as the guests came from a goal down against to run out 2-1 winners at the Brittania Stadium

The away side made a strong start and really should have taken the lead through Suarez. Maxi Rodriguez’s cut back found the Uruguayan, who did well to stay onside, but his 12-yard effort was parried by Thomas Sorensen.

Against the run of the play, the home side thought they had taken the initiative shortly after the half hour mark. Following a typical Rory Delap throw-in, Jonathan Walters nicked in ahead of Pepe Reina to head home. The goalkeeper's blushes were spared by referee Lee Probert, who deemed Walter’s to have fouled the Spaniard, much to the bemusement of the home crowd.

Shortly after, the home side did take the lead. Uruguayan defender Sebastian Coates was hassled by Walters, who, after nicking possession, drove to the byline before cutting back to find Kenwyne Jones. The attacker stooped to head home and give his side a surprising half-time lead.

It didn’t take long for Liverpool to restore parity. Just a few minutes after the interval, Luis Suarez received the ball on the corner of the 18-yard box, and after nutmegging Ryan Shotton he curled a superb effort into the left-hand side of Sorensen’s goal, leaving the Danish goalkeeper helpless.

Substitute Craig Bellamy almost had an instant impact for the Reds, striking the post from the edge of the 18-yard box after good hold up play from Andy Carroll.

Just minutes later it was the Luis Suarez show once again. The little Uruguayan latched on to a lobbed ball from Jordan Henderson at the back post to give his side the lead just minutes from time.

Suarez limped off just seconds after celebrating, to a rapturous standing ovation from the 4000 travelling Liverpool fans, as his two goals proved enough to send Liverpool into the quarter-finals.