The two continental heavyweights meet in the Copa Libertadores for the first time on Thursday evening, as they fight out for a place in the 2011 final
Sosa; G. Rodriguez, D. Rodriguez, Gonzalez, Valdez; Aguiar, Freitas, Corujo, Mier; Olivera, Martinuccio
No surprises for the home team. The Manya line up with the same XI which battled past Catolica last week, playing with dynamic duo Martinuccio and Olivera up front.
|Velez Sarsfield (4-3-1-2):
Barovero; Cubero, Domínguez, Ortiz, Papa; Fernandez, Razzotti, Zapata; Moralez; Silva, Martínez
Velez also stick to the old mantra of "don't change a winning team". Ricardo Gareca makes no alterations to his heroic Asuncion line up, with Santiago Silva back in scoring form and fully fit.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Penarol have already taken on two Argentine teams in the 2011 Copa, securing mixed results in the group stage against Independiente and Godoy Cruz.
- The Carboneros took six points against Godoy, but were beaten on both occasions against the Rojo.
- Their current run has seen them down three current champions: Libertadores holders Internacional, Chilean side Catolica and Ecuadorian winners Liga de Quito have all fallen to the Uruguayans.
- The team also boast an Argentine in their ranks, influential No. 10 and ex-Nueva Chicago man Alejandro Martinuccio (pictured).
- Penarol and Velez Sarsfield have met just twice in international competition, surprising given the teams' impressive record in South America.
- They clashed in the 2001 Copa Mercosur group stage, with Velez winning 3-0 in Liniers and Penarol winning 2-1 in Montevideo.
- This will however be the first time they meet in the Libertadores.
- Similar to their rivals, the Fortin will start with one Uruguayan; powerful ex-Nacional striker Santiago Silva.
- The goals have flowed freely in recent weeks for Velez. 12 strikes have been registered in four knock-out games.
- Overall the team have scored 24 times in 2011, making them the most potent side in the entire championship.
Follow Goal.com on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out Goal.com's page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!