thumbnail Hello,


  • September 24, 2011
  • • 14:30
  • • Coface Arena, Mainz
  • Referee: M. Weiner
  • • Attendance: 33500

Mainz 1-2 Borussia Dortmund: Last-gasp Piszczek strike gives champions vital victory

Mainz 1-2 Borussia Dortmund: Last-gasp Piszczek strike gives champions vital victory


The visitors somehow went into the break behind after dominating the first-half, but a goal seconds before the final whistle sealed an incredible comeback

Borussia Dortmund produced a dramatic comeback to overcome Mainz 2-1 at the Coface Arena on Saturday afternoon.

A defensive mixup granted Nicolai Muller a shock opener for the hosts, but Ivan Perisic levelled for the visitors midway through the second half, and with seconds of injury time remaining, Lukasz Piszczek grabbed a late winner with a long strike following a set piece.

The opening minutes were played in end-to-end fashion, and the visitors fired a warning shot with 10 minutes gone when Robert Lewandowski’s header was tipped over by Heinz Muller from point-blank range. The German custodian kept his concentration to make another stop immediately from the resulting corner.

Dortmund were clearly the superior team, and Muller was forced into action again in the 20th minute, stretching to his left to divert Shinji Kagawa’s effort around the post. However, Klopp’s men shot themselves in the foot before the interval with a terrible piece of defending. Piszczek hit a suicidal backpass into the path of Muller, who got past the static Neven Subotic and took advantage of a miscue between Roman Weidenfeller and Mats Hummels to hammer his side into the lead.

Dortmund went on the offensive, and Ilkay Gundogan was unlucky to see his low shot from 20 yards out squeeze just wide of the far post. With two minutes to go until half-time, Chris Lowe found Lewandowski clean through on goal, but an outstretched arm by Muller denied the Polish striker an equaliser.

It was much the same story after the interval, with the visitors continuing to create chances. Peresic and Mario Goetze went close, before Muller produced another admirable save to deny Kagawa again from long range. The equaliser eventually arrived in the 64th minute, Perisic making the most of Lewandowski’s cushioned pass to level the scores.

The match was on a knife edge as the second half wore on, but the pace of the game slowed somewhat following Perisic's goal. However, with seven minutes remaining, substitute Anthony Ujah was put clean through on goal, only to be halted in his tracks by a brilliant last-ditch tackle by Hummels. Mainz countered moments later, and Andreas Ivanschitz had his shot blocked by Wiedenfeller.

But with the match about to end all square, Piszczek made amends for his earlier error when he fired in the winner with a low shot from the edge of the box following a Perisic free-kick. Mainz barely had time to restart the match before the referee blew the whistle to signal an incredible comeback for the defending champions, who recored their first win in five matches in the process.