The FA Cup kicks off for the Reds against the League One side, with Paul Dickov's outfit hoping to cause early upset, as Kenny Dalglish's team try to end difficult week on a high
Kelly, Coates, Carragher, Aurelio
Maxi, Shelvey, Gerrard, Downing
Lee, Diamond, Clarke, Black
Taylor, Adeyemi, Furman, Morais
As with most of the top-flight teams this upcoming week, Liverpool will be set to give opportunities for their youngsters and fringe players a chance to shine.
The likes of Sebastian Coates and Jonjo Shelvey should get starts as they look to grab any opportunity to impress manager Kenny Dalglish.
Dirk Kuyt and Maxi Rodriguez have hovered on the fringes for the Reds this season and a good showing against the League One side might do them some favours in getting back into first-team action.
Latics boss Paul Dickov will most likely put out his strongest side as he is the first manager given the opportunity to nab an early cup upset, with Finnish striker and Oldham’s top scorer this season Shefki Kuqi expected to take centre stage up top, whilst Dean Furman will lead the north west side out at Anfield.
||DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool made it to their first FA Cup final back in 1914, but lost 1-0 to Burnley.
- The Reds were successful in the competition for the first time during the Bill Shankly years, winning their first FA Cup title in 1965.
- In current boss Kenny Dalglish’s (pictured right) reign as player-manager, the Scot picked up the trophy twice.
- Oldham have never reached the final of the cup, but have been semi-finalists on three occasions, last reaching the penultimate round in 1994.
- One of Oldham’s most successful managers in their history, David Ashworth, took control of Liverpool just prior 1920.
- Latics boss Paul Dickov is a former Manchester City favourite.
- The Latics last won at Anfield in 1914 and have won just six times in their last 29 games together.
- Oldham were one of the founding teams of the Premier League.
- Former Liverpool goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis moved from Merseyside in the summer to Oldham, but is yet to appear for the side.