thumbnail Hello,

Primera División

  • September 20, 2010
  • • 20:00
  • • Estadio Municipal de Riazor, A Coruña (La Coruña)
  • Referee: César Muñiz Fernández
  • • Attendance: 15000

Deportivo La Coruna 2-2 Getafe: Two Contentious Penalties Save Wasteful Hosts

Deportivo La Coruna 2-2 Getafe: Two Contentious Penalties Save Wasteful Hosts

Both sides will have genuine claims for deserving a full share of the spoils...

Deportivo La Coruna had to settle for a draw for the third successive game this season as they were held 2-2 by Getafe at the Riazor.

The Galician outfit had to rely on two second half penalties from Jose Andres Guardado to secure the point after a Diego Colotto own goal had put los Azulones in front shortly after the hour mark.

Geta finished the game with ten men after Pedro Mosquera was sent off for a second bookable offence late on but at that stage the sides were level thanks to Javier Arizmendi's goal, and so it finished with both having to settle for a share of the spoils.

In an uninspiring first half the hosts were marginally the better side but typical of Miguel Angel Lotina's team, they struggled to make that superiority count on the scoreboard and Geta duly took advantage with a superb counterattack shortly after the half hour mark.

Manu del Moral took possession down the left and drilled in a superb low cross which Adrian Colunga arrowed goalward but it needed a deflection off Colotto to guide it past Manu.

After the interval Depor were gifted the chance to draw level when they were awarded a penalty after Ivan Marcano blocked Niouoi Lassad's volley from close range with his arm and Guardado made no mistake tucking the resulting spot kick past Codina, who had replaced the injured Oscar Ustari in the first half.

A matter of minutes later they had their second penalty. This time Derek Boateng's attempted overhead clearance was deemed a high foot by the match official and Guardado fired home from 12 yards, twice, after the referee ordered a retake due to encroachment.

The visitors were stunned and took a while to regain their composure but yet again Depor failed to seize the opportunity and los Azulones managed to draw level 20 minutes from time when Javier Arizmendi cut in from the right and fired a left footed drive beyond Manu with the help of a deflection.

His third goal for the club proved his last action of the game however as Michel introduced Venezuelan striker Miku as they went in search of a winner.

Manu del Moral's blistering 25-yard drive 15 minutes from time smacked back off the crossbar with goalkeeper Manu rooted to his spot in Geta's best chance of what proved a frantic finish.

Mosquero saw red in the closing stages and although Dani Parejo went close from a free kick, Codina was the hero for the visitors in the closing stages as Depor went in search of the winner.

To Geta's relief claims for a third penalty were waved away as Lassad was booked for diving before Guardado spurned a glorious chance for a hat-trick after Riki once again stung the palms of Codina but the Mexican saw his effort flash inches wide.

The Galician outfit will feel it's a game they should have won and worryingly they are yet to score from open play in the league this season while Geta will feel hard done by with some of the decisions that went against them on the night.

Follow on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out's  page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!