thumbnail Hello,

Premier League

  • April 16, 2011
  • • 15:00
  • • Bloomfield Road, Blackpool, Lancashire
  • Referee: P. Walton
  • • Attendance: 16030

Blackpool 1-3 Wigan Athletic: Defensive horror show sees Seasiders replace Latics in the relegation zone

Blackpool 1-3 Wigan Athletic: Defensive horror show sees Seasiders replace Latics in the relegation zone

Blackpool replaced Wigan Athletic in the Premier League relegation zone after the visitors took advantage of some shocking defending to record a priceless 3-1 victory at Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool had not been in the relegation zone all season, but this defeat leaves them in 18th position on 33 points from the same number of games, whilst Wigan have climbed to 17th, with one more point than their opponents and a better goal difference by one goal.

The home side made three changes from their 3-1 defeat against Arsenal last week.

Goalkeeper Matt Gilks came in after a five-month layoff through injury in place of Richard Kingson and Neal Eardley and Elliot Grandin replaced Alex-John Baptiste and Jason Puncheon.

The away side made just one change from their 1-0 defeat to Chelsea, as Steve Gohouri came in for Maynor Figueroa.

The hosts have now conceded the most goals in the League and it was easy to see why as they allowed the lowest scorers to hit three goals past them.

For the visitors, it was sweet revenge for the 4-0 humiliation Blackpool had inflicted upon them on the opening day of the season.

Wigan took the lead after only 3 minutes, courtesy of Hugo Rodallega after awful defending by Craig Cathcart.

The centre-half gave the ball away to Charles N’Zogbia and after the Frenchman played a through-ball for Rodallega, Cathcart slipped, allowing the striker to score well from a narrow angle through the legs of Gilks.

Blackpool tried to get themselves back into the match, with DJ Campbell just unable to connect to a Stephen Crainey cross.

But shot themselves in the foot again as Charlie Adam was dispossessed by Mohamed Diame, who played in N’Zogbia who also managed to score from a tight-angle.

The home side, who are normally a big threat going forward, failed to create many chances and their only effort on target in the first-half came from a weak Elliot Grandin header which failed to test Ali Al Habsi in the Wigan goal.

With the second-half starting in similar fashion, Ian Holloway made a triple substitution to try and spark a revival from his side.

Matt Phillips, Jason Puncheon and James Beattie were all brought on at the hour-mark, but it was the visitors who scored next, albeit in fortuitous circumstances.

Diame hit a shot which was going wide, but deflected heavily off Neal Eardley and wrong-footed Gilks in goal.

The third goal finally sparked some life into Blackpool, but it was too late for them.

Campbell pulled one back after converting a Phillips cross with seven minutes remaining, but the points were safe for the Latics when Al Habsi saved Phillips’ low shot.