Southampton - Chelsea Preview: Saints have never lost to the Blues in the FA Cup
The hosts held Arsenal last time out and will fancy their chances against Rafael Benitez's men who fell to a shock defeat against QPR on Wednesday
By Michael Lightfoot
Cork, Yoshida, Fonte, Shaw
Puncheon, Ward-Prowse, Ramirez
Azpilicueta, Cahill, Ivanovic, Bertrand
Moses, Oscar, Marin
Southampton may look to give striker Rickie Lambert a break in this FA Cup fixture against the holders Chelsea and will give a start to 18-year-old James Ward-Prowse.
Nigel Adkins has got captain Adam Lallana (knee) as his only long-term injury problem and is blessed with an almost full squad to choose from.
Chelsea will be looking for a response after being beaten by West London rivals QPR at Stamford Bridge for the first time in over 30 years.
Goalkeeper Ross Turnbull could continue to deputise in goal as Petr Cech (groin) is a doubt ahead of the game. The Blues are already without John Terry and Oriol Romeu (both knee).
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- James Ward-Prowse scored in the third round of the FA Cup last season and will be looking to add to that tally in a rare start for the youngster.
- Southampton's only major trophy to date is the FA Cup. They beat Manchester United in 1976 when they finished sixth in the old Second Division and United finished third in the old First Division.
- Recent form has seen Nigel Adkins men go three unbeaten at the moment following draws against Fulham, Stoke and Arsenal.
- Frank Lampard (picture right) is just one behind Kerry Dixon (193) and 10 behind Bobby Tambling (202) in the all-time goalscoring records at Chelsea.
- The Blues have never beaten Southampton in the FA Cup. They have drawn three and lost four - with three away defeats.
- From 2000-onwards, Chelsea have won the FA Cup five times and have seven in total. Their first coming in 1970 against Leeds United.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Southampton 1-3 Chelsea FC
- 15.84 %
Southampton 0-3 Chelsea FC
- 12.48 %
Southampton 0-2 Chelsea FC
- 7.68 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 1, 2014||Southampton 0 - Chelsea FC 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 1, 2013||Chelsea FC 3 - Southampton 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Southampton 2 - Chelsea FC 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 16, 2013||Chelsea FC 2 - Southampton 2|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 5, 2013||Southampton 1 - Chelsea FC 5|
|Apr 19, 2014||Aston Villa 0 - Southampton 0||EPL|
|Apr 12, 2014||Southampton 0 - Cardiff City 1||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Manchester City FC 4 - Southampton 1||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Southampton 4 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Mar 23, 2014||Tottenham 3 - Southampton 2||EPL|
|6||Jose Rocha Fonte||Defender|
|21||Guilherme Do Prado||Midfielder|
|33||Steve de Ridder||Striker|
Southampton have finally found their feet in the Premier League and with home advantage will fancy their chances. The Saints have never lost to Chelsea in the FA Cup, and with the Blues still reeling from losing the west London derby, we could be in for a cup shock.