Al-Ahly - Monterrey Preview: After close call against Corinthians, Egyptian side hope to repeat 2006 finish
The warm-up to Sunday night's main event will not lack entertainment as the two attack-minded sides take the pitch intending to leave Japan with their heads held high
By Dan Orlowitz
Fathi, Gomaa, Najib, Shedid
Soliman, Rabiea, Ashour, Barakat
Meza, Basanta, Mier, Chavez
Cardozo, Ayovi, Perez, Corona
Delgado, De Nigris
Six years after their bronze medal finish in the tournament, Al-Ahly are looking to cap off their fourth Fifa Club World Cup campaign with a third-place finish over North American challengers Monterrey.
The Egyptian side performed well beyond expectations in their December 12 semi-final against Corinthians, allowing just one goal and applying a surprising amount of pressure on the Brazilians throughout the second half. Al-Ahly's 34-year-old striker Mohamed Aboutrika, who had been used as a super sub in the quarter-finals and semi-finals, is expected to make his first start of the tournament.
Opponents Monterrey will be looking to recover their damaged pride following a 3-1 defeat by Chelsea in their semi-final. The Rayados rarely saw a chance to attack the European champions, surrendering two own-goals in the process.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Al-Ahly are the only side participating in the Club World Cup to field a squad consisting only of domestic players.
- The Egyptian side beat another Mexican side, Club America, to seize the bronze in the 2006 competition.
- By scoring in this match, Mohamed Aboutrika would become the competition's top scorer with at least five goals.
- Monterrey have already improved on their fifth-place finish in the 2011 CWC.
- The CONCACAF champions have won just one of their last seven competitive fixtures.
- After missing last year's CWC due to an ankle injury, striker Aldo de Nigris (right) will be facing an African side for the first time for either club or country.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Al-Ahly SC 1-2 Monterrey
- 20.56 %
Al-Ahly SC 2-1 Monterrey
- 11.53 %
Al-Ahly SC 0-2 Monterrey
- 8.72 %
|Club World Cup (CWC)||Dec 18, 2013||Al-Ahly SC 1 - Monterrey 5|
|Club World Cup (CWC)||Dec 16, 2012||Al-Ahly SC 0 - Monterrey 2|
|Mar 1, 2014||Young Africans 1 - Al-Ahly SC 0||CAFL|
|Feb 20, 2014||Al-Ahly SC 3 - CS Sfaxien 2||CSC|
|Feb 11, 2014||Al-Ahly SC 0 - Al Ittehad El Sakandary 0||EGY1|
|Feb 6, 2014||Al-Ahly SC 1 - Ghazl El Mahallah 0||EGY1|
|Feb 3, 2014||Al-Ahly SC 0 - El Daklyeh 1||EGY1|
|22||Mohammed Abu Trika||Midfielder|
|13||Ahmed Adel Abdul Monem||Goalkeeper|
|4||Sherif Abd Elfadil||Defender|
|-||Dominique Da Silva||Striker|
|1||Jonathan Emmanuel Orozco||Goalkeeper|
|15||José María Basanta||Defender|
|18||Neri Raúl Cardozo||Midfielder|
|-||A. De Nigris||Striker|
|19||César Fabián Delgado||Midfielder|
|23||Juan de Dios Ibarra||Goalkeeper|
|-||Oscar Sebastián Garcia Carmona||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed