Inter - Verona Preview: Nerazzurri look to bounce back in cup clash
Andrea Stramaccioni's side were beaten 1-0 by Lazio on Saturday thanks to a Miroslav Klose strike, and will hope to return to winning ways in the Coppa Italia last 16 on Tuesday
By Alec Fenn
Ranocchia, Samuel, Juan
Zanetti, Gargano, Palacio, Nagatomo
Cacciatore, Moras, Maietta, Fatic,
Jorginho, Bacinovic, Hallfredsson,
Taleb, Cacia, Bojinov
With the two sides plying their trade in separate divisions, this game should, on paper, be little more than a routine victory for Tuesday's hosts.
But cup competitions have a nasty habit of springing surprise results and given Inter's defeat to Lazio on Saturday, there will at least be a little hope in the visitors' dressing room that a shock can be pulled off.
Midfielder Esteban Cambiasso limped off during the second-half of that game and is unlikely to be risked in this one, while Cristian Chivu could return after a recent injury absence and bolster Andrea Stramaccioni's defensive options as he decides whether or not to stick with a three-man rearguard.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Defeat to Lazio on Saturday leaves Inter in second spot in Serie A and allowed leaders Juventus to extend their lead to seven points.
- The average age of Andrea Stramaccioni's squad is a youthful 26 years old.
- The Nerazzurri were beaten 2-0 by Napoli at the quarter-final stage of last season's competition.
- Tuesday's encounter will be the first time the two sides have faced one another since 2002. On that occasion Inter ran out 3-0 winners.
- Verona currently lie in third spot in Serie B with 36 points from 19 games - nine points behind leaders Sassuolo.
- Striker Daniele Cacia is the visitors' top goalscorer this season. The 29-year-old has found the back of the net 10 times and set up a further five goals for his team-mates.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Internazionale 3-0 Hellas Verona
- 18.07 %
FC Internazionale 2-0 Hellas Verona
- 12.58 %
FC Internazionale 3-1 Hellas Verona
- 10.04 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Oct 26, 2013||FC Internazionale 4 - Hellas Verona 2|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||Dec 18, 2012||FC Internazionale 2 - Hellas Verona 0|
|Dec 4, 2013||FC Internazionale 3 - Trapani 2||ITAC|
|Dec 1, 2013||FC Internazionale 1 - Sampdoria 1||ITA1|
|Nov 24, 2013||Bologna 1 - FC Internazionale 1||ITA1|
|Nov 9, 2013||FC Internazionale 2 - Livorno 0||ITA1|
|Nov 3, 2013||Udinese 0 - FC Internazionale 3||ITA1|
|-||Raffaele Di Gennaro||Goalkeeper|
|-||Carlo Alberto Calvetti||Midfielder|
With Esteban Cambiasso unlikely to feature after limping off during Saturday's game, the Argentine is likely to fill his boots in midfield. A far more offensive-minded player than his compatriot, Palacio could give Inter an additional attacking zest going forward.
With 10 goals to his name already the 29-year-old is enjoying an impressive season in front of goal. Cacia only joined the club during the summer after an indifferent spell with Lecce, but he has hit the ground running with the Gialloblu and will be eager to help pull off a shock at San Siro.
Andrea Stramaccioni insisted he was happy with his side's second-half performance in Saturday's defeat to Lazio and he will remain confident of avoiding a cup shock and advancing to the next round of the competition.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed