Norwich - Tottenham Preview: Canaries host Spurs in a repeat of 1973 final
Andre Villas-Boas takes his ever improving Spurs team to East Anglia in an intriguing Capital One Cup tie with some fringe players hoping for a chance to impress
By Mark Young
Tierney, Turner, Bassong, Butterfield
Fox, Tettey, Howson, Snodgrass
Walker, Dawson, Caulker, Naughton
Falque, Livermore, Sigurdsson, Townsend
Both teams go into this Capital One Cup fourth round tie expecting to make a change or two to the teams that played at the weekend.
Norwich can count themselves a little unlucky to have drawn with Aston Villa on Saturday and will fancy their chances of a good cup run as distraction from a relegation battle. Chris Hughton has claimed he will make a couple of changes including a place on the bench for Grant Holt. Mark Bunn (knock) and Harry Kane (ankle) are both absentees, though the latter is also on loan from Spurs and would not be available anyway.
Apart from the recent defeat to Chelsea, Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas will be very happy with his team. However with a run of four games in a week and big fixtures against Manchester City and Arsenal on the horizon he will be looking to preserve the fitness of a number of key men.
The Portuguese manager is still missing five first team players. Emmanuel Adebayor (back), Benoit Assou-Ekotto (knee), Mousa Dembele (knee), Younes Kaboul (knee) and Scott Parker (Achilles) are all unavailable with William Gallas and Gareth Bale likely to be given a rest.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Norwich have won three games this season (two cup, one league) and all by a single goal. 1-0 against Doncaster, 2-1 against Scunthorpe and 1-0 against Arsenal.
- The two met in March 1973 in the tournament's final where Spurs were victorious by a solitary goal to nil with Ralph Coates hitting the winner.
- Tottenham have won both games that the two clubs have played in League Cup history.
- In all but three games so far this season both teams have scored in Tottenham's fixtures. The ones that don't come under this bracket are the 0-0 draw with Lazio in the Europa League, the 3-0 away win against Carlisle United in the Capital One Cup and the 2-0 home win against Aston Villa in the Premier League.
- Norwich have scored eight goals in the Premier League this season, the same number as Jermain Defoe and Gareth Bale have combined.
- Alex Tettey (pictured) is yet to be on the losing side for Norwich when starting for the Canaries.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Norwich City 0-2 Tottenham
- 20.22 %
Norwich City 1-2 Tottenham
- 13.85 %
Norwich City 1-3 Tottenham
- 13.3 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 23, 2014||Norwich City 1 - Tottenham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 14, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Norwich City 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 30, 2013||Norwich City 1 - Tottenham 1|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Oct 31, 2012||Norwich City 2 - Tottenham 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 1, 2012||Tottenham 1 - Norwich City 1|
|Apr 12, 2014||Fulham 1 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Norwich City 0 - West Bromwich Albion 1||EPL|
|Mar 29, 2014||Swansea 3 - Norwich City 0||EPL|
|Mar 22, 2014||Norwich City 2 - Sunderland 0||EPL|
|Mar 15, 2014||Southampton 4 - Norwich City 2||EPL|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed