CFR Cluj - Galatasaray Preview: Vistiors aim to get their Champions League campaign up and running
The Turks go in search of their first European away win in almost a decade, and the hosts have have lost six of their last 10 Champions League group games
By Ben McAleer
Ivo Pinto, Cadu, Piccolo, Sepsi
Valente, Alberto, Muresan, Camora
Eboue, Cris, Nounkeu, Hamit
Riera, Selcuk, Yekta, Amrabat
Cluj coach Paulo Sergio has just one injury worry for the welcome of Galatasaray on Wednesday, which could see the Portuguese tactician forced into altering his starting XI.
Rafael Bastos was forced off early on during the recent 5-0 win over Brasov, but Rui Pedro is expected to deputise for the Brazilian, with Sergio facing no further concerns ahead of the encounter.
Galatasaray enter the encounter on the back of an impressive 3-1 win over Istanbul BB and coach Fatih Terim will hope his side can carry the form on into the encounter with the Romanian outfit.
Fortunately for Terim, he faces no fresh injury complaints ahead of the game with Cluj and is expected to name the same starting XI from the weekend.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Cluj have netted four times during the Champions League this season despite having just five shots on target.
- One of those, despite securing a 1-1 draw, didn't come against Galatasaray two weeks ago, with Dany Nounkeu netting an own goal for the Romanian side.
- Cluj have won just two of their 10 home games in Europe, not including the qualifiers.
- Galatasaray have mustered just one point from their last nine Champions League group games away from home.
- Top scorer Burak Yilmaz (pictured, right) has netted the club's only goal of their European campaign this season.
- Galatasaray will become the first Turkish team to play Cluj in Romania in the hosts' history.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
CFR Cluj 1-2 Galatasaray
- 18.94 %
CFR Cluj 0-2 Galatasaray
- 10.57 %
CFR Cluj 1-3 Galatasaray
- 9.25 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Nov 7, 2012||CFR Cluj 1 - Galatasaray 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||Oct 23, 2012||Galatasaray 1 - CFR Cluj 1|
|Feb 21, 2013||CFR Cluj 0 - FC Internazionale 3||EL|
|Feb 14, 2013||FC Internazionale 2 - CFR Cluj 0||EL|
|Dec 5, 2012||Man Utd. 0 - CFR Cluj 1||UCL|
|Nov 20, 2012||CFR Cluj 3 - Sporting Braga 1||UCL|
|Nov 7, 2012||CFR Cluj 1 - Galatasaray 3||UCL|
|25||Néstor Muslera Micol||Goalkeeper|
The front-man is the club's joint top scorer, having netted five times this season, and Cluj will be looking to the Greek striker to lead the line for the hosts as they look to secure qualification to the knock-out stages.
The Turkey international netted Galatasaray's only Champions League goal of the season and is their top scorer, the Turkish side will be looking to him to secure a vital three points in what promises to be a tight encounter.
The visitors are in dire need the first win of the campaign, and although their form in Europe has been less than impressive this season, they have just enough about them to secure their first away victory in almost 10 years.