West Brom - Liverpool Preview: Baggies hopeful of continuing solid early-season form against holders
The home side find themselves in fourth place in the Premier League and welcome a Reds outfit in the relegation zone but hoping for a return to form in the League Cup
By Chris Teale
Jones, Olsson, Ridgewell, McAuley
Yacob, Mulumbu, Gera, Mulumbu
Wisdom, Carragher, Coates, Enrique
Assaidi, Henderson, Sahin, Downing
For the Baggies, Peter Odemwingie will serve the last match of his three-game ban after being sent off against Fulham.
James Morrison and Jerome Thomas (both leg) will definitely miss the game but the former may make a return soon.
Goran Popov missed the game against Reading and may still be unavailable alongside Steven Reid (hamstring), who was injured against Liverpool in the teams' Premier League meeting last month.
Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey's red card against Manchester United means that he is suspended for three games, this being his first.
Daniel Agger (knee), Fabio Borini (ankle) and Martin Kelly (knee) all suffered knocks of varying severities in the game against the Red Devils and, though the former two could potentially return to face the Baggies, Kelly expects a lengthy absence.
Manager Brendan Rodgers may use this game to look at a selection of the club’s talented youngsters, with Jamie Carragher the experienced head.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Last season, West Brom came unstuck away to Liverpool's rivals, Everton, in the third round of the League Cup, going down to a 2-1 defeat after extra time thanks to a winner in the 103rd minute from Phil Neville.
- The Baggies have won four of their last six games in all competitions, including a 3-0 defeat of Liverpool on the opening day of the season. West Brom are 28/1 with Bet365 to repeat their 3-0 win over Liverpool.
- West Brom won the League Cup in 1966 and finished as runners up in 1967 after a 3-2 defeat to QPR at Wembley Stadium, in the first final to be decided over a single game.
- Liverpool are the most successful club in the history of the League Cup, having lifted the trophy eight times since its founding in 1960.
- Stewart Downing (pictured right) has won the League Cup with two different teams, having claimed a winner’s medal last season for Liverpool, and also in 2004 when he was part of the Middlesbrough side that triumphed 2-1 over Bolton at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium.
- Reds captain Steven Gerrard was a part of Liverpool's memorable cup treble in the 2000-01 season, in which they won the League Cup on penalties over Birmingham City.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Liverpool
- 17.25 %
West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Liverpool
- 12.7 %
West Bromwich Albion 1-3 Liverpool
- 10.14 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 26, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Bromwich Albion 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 11, 2013||Liverpool 0 - West Bromwich Albion 2|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 26, 2012||West Bromwich Albion 1 - Liverpool 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 18, 2012||West Bromwich Albion 3 - Liverpool 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 22, 2012||Liverpool 0 - West Bromwich Albion 1|
|West Bromwich Albion|
|Dec 14, 2013||Cardiff City 1 - West Bromwich Albion 0||EPL|
|Dec 7, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 0 - Norwich City 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Manchester City FC 3||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||Newcastle 2 - West Bromwich Albion 1||EPL|
|Nov 25, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Aston Villa 2||EPL|
|30||Sebastien Gabriel Tamaş||Defender|
|11||Yassine El Ghanassy||Striker|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed