Anzhi Makhachkala - Liverpool Preview: Visitors looking for second group win over Russians
Brendan Rodgers' side posted a 1-0 victory over the Dagestan outfit at Anfield and will hope to take control of Europa League Group A with yet more success on Thursday
By Rhys Turrell
Logashov, Carlos, Samba, Tagirbekov
Boussoufa, Akhmedov, Jucilei, Zhirkov
Wisdom, Carragher, Coates, Robinson
Downing, Pacheco, Assaidi
Guus Hiddink has plenty of star talent at his disposal, with ex-Barcelona and Inter Milan striker Samuel Eto'o and former Premier League stars Chris Samba and Yuri Zhirkhov all expected to start this game.
Brendan Rodgers looks likely to rest most of his regular starters ahead of the Merseysiders' trip to south-west Russia, with the Northern Irishman bound to have half an eye on his side's Premier League clash with Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Captain Steven Gerrard and star striker Luis Suarez are almost certain to be left out, whilst other first-choice players such as Martin Skrtel, Daniel Agger and Joe Allen could be rested.
Fabio Borini (broken foot), Martin Kelly (knee) and Lucas (thigh) are all definitely out, whilst Pepe Reina and Glen Johnson (both hamstring) are unlikely to be rushed back for this game.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Anzhi Mackhachkala were only formed in 1991, and bounced between the top two divisions in Russia until billionaire Suleyman Kerimov purchased the club in 2011.
- The Dagestan-based club are currently second in the Russian Premier League, but they have never won the title.
- Despite being one of the highest paid players in the world, Cameroon striker Samuel Eto'o (right) is not Anzhi's leading goalscorer this season, that honour belongs to Ivory Coast frontman Lacina Traore.
- Liverpool are one of the three most successful clubs in the history of this competition. They have won the tournament three times, along with Italian pair Juventus and Inter Milan
- Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez has played a role in 10 of Liverpool's 13 goals this season.
- Reds midifielder Jonjo Shelvey jointly leads the goalscoring charts in this season's Europa League - he has three goals to his name.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Anzhi Makhachkala 1-2 Liverpool
- 17.63 %
Anzhi Makhachkala 0-2 Liverpool
- 13.25 %
Anzhi Makhachkala 2-1 Liverpool
- 8.41 %
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Nov 8, 2012||Anzhi Makhachkala 1 - Liverpool 0|
|UEFA Europa League (EL)||Oct 25, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Anzhi Makhachkala 0|
|Dec 12, 2013||Tottenham 4 - Anzhi Makhachkala 1||EL|
|Dec 6, 2013||Anzhi Makhachkala 1 - FK Kuban' Krasnodar 2||RUS1|
|Dec 2, 2013||Anzhi Makhachkala 0 - Tom Tomsk 2||RUS1|
|Nov 28, 2013||Anzhi Makhachkala 1 - Sheriff 1||EL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Anzhi Makhachkala 0 - Volga Nizhny Novgorod 0||RUS1|
|-||Joao Carlos Pinto Chaves||Defender|