Juventus-Siena Preview: Scudetto holders looking to respond after loss to Roma
Beppe Iachini has never beaten Juventus but his own Bianconeri have gone three games unbeaten ahead of Saturday’s match in Turin
By Jerrad Peters
Bonucci, Marrone, Caceres
Lichtsteiner, Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Kwadwo
Texeira, Terlizzi, Felipe
Belmonte, Vergassola, Della Rocca, Rubin
Juventus winger Simone Pepe has suffered a setback in training and will likely have to undergo surgery to repair a thigh injury. The 29-year-old has made just a single appearance from the bench so far this season.
Coach Antonio Conte is also without on-loan Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner, who is still recovering from adductor surgery and is expected back sometime in March.
Defender Paolo De Ceglie is sidelined with a thigh injury suffered against Fiorentina earlier this month and Giorgio Chiellini will be given the day off to rest his troublesome calf.
Claudio Marchisio returns from suspension.
Iachini’s only injury concern involves wing-back Angelo, who has a muscle injury but is expected to play some part in his side’s match against Atalanta on March 3.
Defenders Roberto Vitiello and Claudio Terzi are serving extended bans for their part in the 2011 match-fixing scandal.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Since the beginning of January, Juventus have dropped points in four of eight Serie A matches, including losses to Sampdoria and Roma. They also lost 2-1 away to Lazio in the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia.
- Only Roma have scored more than the 50 goals Juventus have managed in the league so far this season, but Fabio Quagliarella (pictured, right) is the only player with at least seven of them to his name.
- Juventus are unbeaten in their last seven matches against Siena. Their most recent defeat to them came in May 2008.
- Siena are third from bottom in Serie A but would be 15th had they not been deducted six points for their role in the 2011 Italian match-fixing scandal.
- Coach Beppe Iachini lost his first three matches after replacing Serse Cosmi last December but has since dropped just one of his last five while beating Sampdoria, Inter and Lazio.
- Striker Innocent Emeghara has scored three goals in four matches since joining Siena on loan from Lorient in January,
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Juventus 3-0 Siena
- 30.68 %
Juventus 2-0 Siena
- 20.89 %
Juventus 4-0 Siena
- 10.68 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Feb 24, 2013||Juventus 3 - Siena 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Oct 7, 2012||Siena 1 - Juventus 2|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Feb 5, 2012||Juventus 0 - Siena 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Sep 18, 2011||Siena 0 - Juventus 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Mar 14, 2010||Juventus 3 - Siena 3|
|Mar 2, 2014||AC Milan 0 - Juventus 2||ITA1|
|Feb 27, 2014||Trabzonspor AŞ 0 - Juventus 2||EL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Juventus 1 - Torino 0||ITA1|
|Feb 20, 2014||Juventus 2 - Trabzonspor AŞ 0||EL|
|Feb 16, 2014||Juventus 3 - Chievo 1||ITA1|
|7||Francesco Della Rocca||Midfielder|
|-||Carlos Javier Matheu||Defender|
The last time we saw the 27-year-old midfielder he was starring for Juventus in the Champions League against Celtic. Suspended for last weekend’s match against AS Roma —a 1-0 defeat— he’ll be a welcome addition for Antonio Conte ahead of Saturday’s match against Siena and will be expected to drive play forward like he has on so many occasions.
Siena boss Beppe Iachini has admitted he only saw the Nigeria-born Switzerland international on DVD before signing him on loan from Lorient last month. But the 23-year-old’s acquisition was definitely worth the gamble. He has scored three goals from just six shots since moving to Italy.
Juventus have Marchisio back and will not want to go two matches without a win following last Saturday’s loss in the capital. And while Siena have started to turn things around under Iachini they’ll be hard-pressed to get anything from an irritated opponent that has turned its home stadium into a fortress.