Catania - AC Milan Preview: Rossoneri look to build on Juventus win
Allegri's men recorded a narrow victory over the Bianconeri at the weekend, and can leapfrog their hosts into seventh place with a win at the Stadio Angelo Massimino
By Renger Dotinga
Marchesse, Spolli, Legrottaglie, Alvarez
Izco, Lodi, Almiron
Barrientos, Bergessio, Gomez
Di Sciglio, Mexes, Yepes, Constant
Montolivo, De Jong, Boateng
Bojan, Robinho, El Shaarawy
Massimiliano Allegri is expected to make a handful of changes to the side which claimed a 1-0 win over Juventus on Sunday, with captain Christian Abbiati expected to return between the sticks in favour of Marco Amelia. Kevin Prince Boateng was employed as a false number nine against the Bianconeri as Milan aimed to stifle their visitors' midfield, but the Ghanaian is likely to be reverted to his preferred midfield role for his side's trip to their eighth-placed hosts.
Robinho's match-winning penalty at the weekend could see him take up a more central position, with Bojan supporting the Brazilian from the right flank.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Catania's 3-1 defeat away to Sicilian rivals Palermo brought an end to a four game unbeaten streak for the Rossazzurri.
- Rolando Maran's charges currently sit a promising eighth in the table, and have a formidable home record in the current Serie A campaign. Gli Elefanti have failed to win just two of seven their fixtures at the Stadio Angelo Massimino, conceding only five goals.
- The Etnei have been less convincing on the road however, with just three points collected and five goals scored on their travels.
- Milan's trip to Sicily on Saturday will be the longest they domestically make this season, with Catania's ground lying some 1000 kilometres away from the San Siro.
- The Rossonerri currently harbour fond memories of the Guiseppe Meazza, having claimed a 1-0 victory over league leaders and holders Juventus last time out.
- Robinho (pictured) netted the only goal of the game from the penalty spot in that fixture, bagging what was his first goal of the 2012-2013 season. Stephen El Shaarawy currently leads the scoring charts for the Diavolo, with 12 goals in all competitions.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Catania 0-2 AC Milan
- 24.27 %
Catania 0-3 AC Milan
- 14.21 %
Catania 1-3 AC Milan
- 12.46 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Apr 13, 2014||AC Milan 1 - Catania 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Dec 1, 2013||Catania 1 - AC Milan 3|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Apr 28, 2013||AC Milan 4 - Catania 2|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Nov 30, 2012||Catania 1 - AC Milan 3|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Mar 31, 2012||Catania 1 - AC Milan 1|
|Apr 13, 2014||AC Milan 1 - Catania 0||ITA1|
|Apr 6, 2014||Catania 1 - Torino 2||ITA1|
|Mar 31, 2014||Udinese 1 - Catania 0||ITA1|
|Mar 26, 2014||Catania 2 - SSC Napoli 4||ITA1|
|Mar 23, 2014||Catania 0 - Juventus 1||ITA1|
|-||Mario Ángel Paglialunga||Midfielder|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
The Italian has been one of the lynchpins of Catania's solid start to the season, and is an instrumental figure in his side's midfield. The No.10 has also been one of the Sicilians' most potent attacking forces, and currently leads the club's scoring charts with four goals.
The Italy international turned in a splendid performance against Juventus, orchestrating and controlling the midfield in a manner reminiscent of his days at Fiorentina. Though he will likely be stripped of the captaincy in favour of Abbiati, a similar shift from the playmaker could tilt this match in the Rossoneri's favour.
Milan will be eager to avoid following up their win over Juventus in the manner city-rivals Inter did when they triumphed over the Bianconeri, with the Nerazzuri falling to a 3-2 away defeat in their next fixture. Allegri's men come up against a side whose home record speaks for itself however, and perhaps more tellingly, lie one spot above them in the Serie A standings. I can see the Diavolo grabbing an early lead - just as they did in the corresponding fixture last season - but ultimately be made to settle for a point.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed