AC Milan - Atalanta Preview: Rossoneri look for first home points
Bojan could be in line to start for the home team, who slumped to a 1-0 defeat against Sampdoria in their own stadium before bouncing back thanks to a Pazzini triple
By Daniel Edwards
Abate, Zapata, Acerbi, De Sciglio
De Jong, Montolivo
Bojan, Boateng, Robinho
Bellini, Lucchini, Manfredini, Peluso
Schelotto, Cigarini, Biondini, Bonaventura
AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri could make several changes from the team that went down 1-0 to Sampdoria in their last Serie A outing. Veteran defender Mario Yepes is likely to be rested after his excursions for Colombia in the World Cup qualifier against Chile, compatriot Cristian Zapata taking his place. Bojan could also return to the team after sitting out the Sampdoria defeat.
Atalanta goalkeeper Andrea Consigli will celebrate a landmark at San Siro, the game marking his 200th professional appearance of a career which to date has included spells with the Bergamo club, Sambenedettese and Rimini.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Milan have lifted the Scudetto 18 times in their history, with only Juventus boasting a more successful record in Italian football.
- They were also the closest challengers to the Old Lady in 2011-12, finishing second four points behind the champions.
- They have not enjoyed a brilliant start this season, however. A 1-0 defeat to Sampdoria was followed by a 3-1 win over Bologna, leaving the Rossoneri in 10th place after two games.
- Striker Giampaolo Pazzini (right) netted a hat-trick against Bologna and is tied with Stevan Jovetic as Serie A's top scorer.
- Atalanta defender Federico Peluso scored for Italy midweek, becoming the first player for the club to do so since Cristian Doni back in 2001.
- The Bergamo outfit, with -1, are one of two teams still with negative points in 2012-13, alongside Siena
- Having lost to Lazio, a draw against Cagliari brought the club closer to zero having been docked points for their involvement in Scommessopoli.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
AC Milan 3-0 Atalanta
- 24.02 %
AC Milan 2-0 Atalanta
- 20.3 %
AC Milan 3-1 Atalanta
- 10.39 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Jan 6, 2014||AC Milan 3 - Atalanta 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Jan 27, 2013||Atalanta 0 - AC Milan 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Sep 15, 2012||AC Milan 0 - Atalanta 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||May 2, 2012||AC Milan 2 - Atalanta 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Jan 8, 2012||Atalanta 0 - AC Milan 2|
|Apr 19, 2014||AC Milan 3 - Livorno 0||ITA1|
|Apr 13, 2014||AC Milan 1 - Catania 0||ITA1|
|Apr 7, 2014||Genoa 1 - AC Milan 2||ITA1|
|Mar 29, 2014||AC Milan 3 - Chievo 0||ITA1|
|Mar 26, 2014||Fiorentina 0 - AC Milan 2||ITA1|
|34||Nigel De Jong||Midfielder|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
|-||Carlos Javier Matheu||Defender|
|91||Giuseppe De Luca||Striker|
|Nigel De Jong|
With former stars such as Gattuso and Seedorf now gone and captain Ambrosini unavailable, the Netherlands international will be expected to show he has the talent to replace such reputed names and keep the team moving.
The goalkeeper celebrates his 200th professional game at San Siro, and will expect to face a busy game against the likes of Pazzini, Boateng and Robinho. A quality performance is crucial from the man between the posts.
In front of their own fans the Rossoneri should have plenty to see off the visitors' threat and record a comfortable victory, and they will hoping Pazzini can pick up where he left off in the last round to lead them to success.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed