Juventus – Parma Preview: Old Lady commence defence of Serie A crown
The Turin giants will hope for a routine victory over the visitors, despite the ban imposed on Antonio Conte, as domestic action returns in Italy
By Julian De Martinis
Barzagli, Lucio, Bonucci
Asamoah, Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal, L'steiner
Zaccardo, Paletta, Lucarelli
Biabiany, Morrone, Valdes, Parolo, Gobbi
This clash from the opening round of Serie A contains a number of intriguing subplots, including Amauri and Giovinco battling their former clubs.
Juventus' shape and defence practically picks itself at the moment, with Mauricio Isla, Giorgio Chiellini, Martin Caceres, and Gianluigi Buffon all missing through injury. Simone Pepe’s absence likely leaves a spot for Kwadwo Asamoah. In attack, Sebastian Giovinco will partner either Mirko Vucinic or Alessandro Matri.
Roberto Donadoni’s Parma will look to compete against the Scudetto incumbents with a similar shape. Raffaele Palladino will miss the match through injury, and Amauri, another former Juventus player, will look to inflict damage upon his old side.
Marco Parolo, who made the switch from Cesena thus summer, will likely start the match in midfield, but Daniele Galloppa remains sidelined following a suspension from last season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Giovinco and Amauri face off as adversaries, though the two were team-mates last season in a Parma side that finished the season with seven straight wins.
- Antonio Conte’s 10-month suspension following his alleged involvement in Italy’s betting scandal has not been overturned.
- Parma have made a number of signings during the off-season, including the acquisition of the former Roma duo Aleandro Rosi and Stefano Okaka as well as resigning Amauri from Fiorentina.
- Giovinco scored 15 goals last season, including the sole Parma strike in his side’s 4-1 defeat in this same fixture.
- Juventus failed to take full points from only one of their final 10 games last season, in a 1-1 draw against Lecce.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Juventus 3-0 Parma
- 24.97 %
Juventus 2-0 Parma
- 18.73 %
Juventus 3-1 Parma
- 11.25 %
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Mar 26, 2014||Juventus 2 - Parma 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Nov 2, 2013||Parma 0 - Juventus 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Jan 13, 2013||Parma 1 - Juventus 1|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Aug 25, 2012||Juventus 2 - Parma 0|
|Italy - Serie A (ITA1)||Feb 15, 2012||Parma 0 - Juventus 0|
|Apr 19, 2014||Juventus 1 - Bologna 0||ITA1|
|Apr 14, 2014||Udinese 0 - Juventus 2||ITA1|
|Apr 10, 2014||Juventus 2 - Olympique Lyonnais 1||EL|
|Apr 7, 2014||Juventus 2 - Livorno 0||ITA1|
|Apr 3, 2014||Olympique Lyonnais 0 - Juventus 1||EL|
|11||Paolo De Ceglie||Defender|
The diminutive forward was co-owned by both clubs last season and matured into both a goal-scoring threat and a creative distributor. He’ll be more than motivated to prove that his return to Juventus was warranted.
The ex-factor on the other side, the former Juventus player suffered an awful time at the Old Lady but will be looking to prove to the Scudetto holders that giving him up has consequences.
Juventus, despite their injuries, should be simply too strong for a Parma side weakened by the loss of Giovinco. With or without Conte, the Old Lady should rear back into last season's form in this fixture.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed