thumbnail Hello,

Club Friendlies

  • July 28, 2012
  • • 13:30
  • • Celtic Park, Glasgow

Celtic 1-1 Inter: Late Palacio equaliser cancels out Commons wonder goal

Celtic 1-1 Inter: Late Palacio equaliser cancels out Commons wonder goal

Getty Images

In the prestige friendly at Celtic Park, the two sides play out a battling draw, with Kris Commons stealing the headlines for a superb first-half finish

Celtic and Inter played out a fascinating 1-1 draw at Celtic Park in their pre-season friendly, with both sides battling hard as their preparations gather pace.

The first half saw the home side largely dominate both possession and the chances created, and despite an injury to Anthony Stokes, Celtic opened the scoring after a superb half-volley in the 40th minute from midfielder Kris Commons.

The second period was far more even, and as Inter managed to create more chances, the Italians managed to find an equaliser through Rodrigo Palacio.

Both sides selected strong squads for the friendly, with Celtic giving Gary Hooper and Stokes the starts up front, while Kenyan Victor Wanyama continued in the centre of the midfield.

Meanwhile, Inter also selected a strong side, with Wesley Sneijder selected in the midfield despite further transfer speculation linking him to a move away from the San Siro.

Celtic began the first half confidently, and after just four minutes had their first chance, as Charlie Mulgrew headed just wide of the post from a corner with the goal gaping.

However, chances were few and far between for both sides, and it took until the 18th minute for another opening, as Stokes forced a smart save from Inter goalkeeper Samir Handanovic with a vicious shot.

Celtic were passing confidently, and having the majority of possession as the first half wore on, and once again the Hoops had a glorious chance to open the scoring as Commons took the ball and fed Joe Ledley, whose shot was straight at Handanovic.

Unfortunately for the home side, they were forced to make a substitution in the 35th minute as Stokes was stretchered off and replaced by Mohamed Bangura.

However, in the 40th minute, the deadlock was broken. Mulgrew floated a free kick to the edge of the box, where Commons took the ball and let fly with a half-volley that went over Handanovic's head and gave the Scottish champions a 1-0 lead to take into half time.

The second half began in a quiet fashion, then in the 60th minute Inter finally created a chance of their own, as after some intricate passing, Sneijder saw a shot deflected wide for a corner.

The away side were clearly beginning to grow into the game, and in the 66th minute they had another good chance as Cristian Chivu headed the ball over the bar from a corner, as Celtic began to introduce a number of second-half substitutes.

In the 76th minute, Commons nearly added a superb second goal, after taking advantage of some hesitant Inter defending and nearly lobbing Handanovic again, but the Slovenian managed to claw the shot away from danger.

Then, with the game beginning to peter out, Inter had perhaps their best chance in the 83rd minute. The ball was crossed in from the left, but Jonathan could not quite get his head on the ball and the chance was gone.

Almost immediately, Chivu saw a dangerous shot from long range palmed away by Fraser Forster for a corner, and from the resulting set piece the ball was headed wide, as Inter clearly still believed they could find an equaliser.

Then, in the 88th minute, Inter did finally find an equaliser, as a cross from Marko Livaja from the left was tapped in from close range by Rodrigo Palacio, and the away side managed to secure themselves a hard-earned draw.