Werder Bremen-Borussia Dortmund Preview: Sahin prepares for BVB return
The Turkey international is available for the first time since completing a loan move from Madrid, but is likely to start from the bench as Dortmund look to take three points
By Daniel Edwards
Gebre Selassie, Prodl, Sokratis, Schmitz
De Bruyne, Hunt, Elia
Piszczek, Santana, Hummels, Schmelzer
Blaszyczykowski, Gotze, Reus
Borussia Dortmund prodigal son Nuri Sahin has completed a move back to Germany after enduring a frustrating time with Real Madrid, but may have to bide his time before making his first appearance back in BVB colours.
The creative midfielder is expected to start from the bench against Bremen, as Dortmund prepare for their first outing since bidding farewell to 2012 with an emphatic 5-1 victory over Hannover in the DFB Pokal. Neven Subotic is injured, and will be replaced by Felipe Santana.
Werder Bremen finished the year on a low-key note, drawing 1-1 at home to Nurnberg, with Nils Petersen rescuing a point two minutes from the end. The striker will begin 2013 as the hosts' solitary forward.
The team will be almost identical to that last seen in December, with one possible change being the entrance of Clemens Fritz from the start in place of Marko Arnautovic.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Bremen have won just once in their last five Bundesliga outings, a run that has seen the side slip from sixth to 12th in the standings.
- A leaky defence has been the downfall for die Werderaner. They have conceded a disappointing 29 goals in 17 games, the third-worst record in the entire championship.
- Werder's last meeting with Borussia Dortmund ended in defeat. An early goal from Marco Reus (right) and an Ilkay Gundogan strike condemned the side to a 2-1 defeat on the first weekend of the 2012-13 season.
- Dortmund enter the new year a daunting 12 points behind leaders Bayern Munich, and currently lie in third place after winning back to back titles in 2011 and 2012.
- The German champions have already lost 3 matches this season, the same number they lost in their entire 2011/12 campaign.
- The side's scoring ability is one consolation for coach Jurgen Klopp. Only Bayern have outscored BVB so far, with Robert Lewandowski (nine goals) currently the team's top marksman in the Bundesliga.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Werder Bremen 1-3 Borussia Dortmund
- 25.2 %
Werder Bremen 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 13.11 %
Werder Bremen 0-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 10.08 %
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Aug 23, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Werder Bremen 0|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Jan 19, 2013||Werder Bremen 0 - Borussia Dortmund 5|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Aug 24, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Werder Bremen 1|
|Club Friendlies (FR)||Aug 5, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 3 - Werder Bremen 3|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Mar 17, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 1 - Werder Bremen 0|
|Nov 30, 2013||Hoffenheim 4 - Werder Bremen 4||GER1|
|Nov 24, 2013||Werder Bremen 2 - Mainz 3||GER1|
|Nov 9, 2013||Schalke 04 3 - Werder Bremen 1||GER1|
|Nov 3, 2013||Werder Bremen 3 - Hannover 96 2||GER1|
|Oct 26, 2013||VfL Wolfsburg 3 - Werder Bremen 0||GER1|
|23||Theodor Gebre Selassie||Defender|
|15||Kevin De Bruyne||Midfielder|
At 26 this product of the Bremen academy is already a veteran of the Werderaner first team, and contributes both goals and creative talent - which will each be needed if the home side wish to claim victory.
The young star was the brightest light in what was otherwise a disappointing first half of the season for BVB, contributing seven goals and impressing his new supporters with outrageous talent on the ball. He will be looking to make an equally explosive start to the new year.
Dortmund finished 2012 with a flourish following convincing wins over Hoffenheim and Hannover, and the reappearance of Sahin should give Jurgen Klopp's men an extra boost to overcome an out of form Bremen outfit.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed