Reading-Manchester City Preview: Visitors looking to bounce back from FA Cup disappointment
City will hope to return to winning ways after their shock defeat to Wigan at Wembley on Saturday as they travel to the Madejski Stadium to face the already relegated Royals
By Rhys Turrell
Gunter, Mariappa, Morrison, Kelly
McCleary, McAnuff, Robson-Kanu
Richards, Kompany, Nastasic, Clichy
Barry, Yaya Toure
Silva, Tevez, Nasri
Manchester City will be without right-back Pablo Zabaleta after the Argentina defender was sent-off in Saturday's shock FA Cup final defeat to Wigan.
Scott Sinclair (shoulder) is unlikely to be included after spending last week in hospital receiving treatment for a blood clot.
Nigel Adkins may be able to call on the services of goalkeeper Adam Federici (ankle) and young midfielder Hope Akpan (ankle) after the pair resumed training after recent lay-offs.
Veteran striker Jason Roberts (hip) is out for the season and winger Jimmy Kebe (groin) is still some way off a return to action.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester City have won just eight games on the road this year - the lowest amount out of all the sides in the top five.
- They have also scored the fewest amout of goals (23) away from the Etihad Stadium out of all the sides in the Premier League's leading quintet.
- City's points tally of 75 from 36 games is 14 shy of the 89 they claimed when winning the Premier League last season.
- Reading need just one point for their last two games to ensure they do not finish bottom the Premier League.
- Nigel Adkins (right) has seen his team concede the joint-highest amount of goals in the top flight this season (67). Wigan, Newcastle and Aston Villa are the other sides.
- Thy Royals points tally of 28 points from 36 games is eight points shy of the 36 they earned when being relegated from the top flight on goal difference in 2007/08.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Reading 0-3 Manchester City FC
- 12.81 %
Reading 1-0 Manchester City FC
- 10.65 %
Reading 0-2 Manchester City FC
- 10.08 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 14, 2013||Reading 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 22, 2012||Manchester City FC 1 - Reading 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Mar 13, 2011||Manchester City FC 1 - Reading 0|
|Dec 3, 2013||Reading 1 - Charlton 0||ENG2|
|Nov 29, 2013||Nottingham Forest 2 - Reading 3||ENG2|
|Nov 23, 2013||Blackburn 0 - Reading 0||ENG2|
|Nov 9, 2013||Reading 1 - QPR 1||ENG2|
|Nov 2, 2013||Sheffield Wed 5 - Reading 2||ENG2|
|9||Adam Le Fondre||Striker|
Despite not starting the season as the club’s number one, McCarthy has since established himself at the Madejski through a string of impressive performances between the sticks. He exudes confidence, his back four trust him, and Nigel Adkins will be hoping to hold on to the 23-year-old as he looks to build a squad capable of getting out of the Championship next season.
Whilst the Argentina striker has not enjoyed as successful a campaign as his debut season in the Premier League, he has still chipped in with 16 goals in City’s unsuccessful bid to retain the league title. His proven quality in the final third is a constant menace to defenders, and his interplay with countryman Carlos Tevez can be devastating if the opposition switch off.
With all the turmoil surrounding Manchester City it would be wise to suggest they may come into this game unsettled, however, such is the superiority of their squad, they should still canter to victory against the long since relegated Royals. Nigel Adkins will be hoping to wave goodbye to the Premier League with a home win, and his side will no doubt work doubly hard to give themselves a fighting chance, but they may come up short against the FA Cup finalists.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed