Manchester City - Newcastle United Preview: Mancini's men looking for seventh-straight Premier League win over Magpies
Alan Pardew's side may have one eye on their Europa League quarter-final, while the champions are aiming to keep the pressure on Manchester United
By Tom McKeown
Zabaleta, K Toure, Kompany, Clichy
Y Toure, Barry
Silva, Tevez, Milner
Debuchy, Yanga-Mbiwa, Taylor, Santon
Marveaux, Sissoko, Gouffran
Roberto Mancini has a host of players returning from injury and is expected to make several changes from the 2-0 defeat at Everton on March 16.
Vincent Kompany is set for a return to the starting line-up after playing for Belgium during the international break, while Yaya Toure should return after illness. Sergio Aguero is also likely to make his comeback.
Newcastle United, meanwhile, have a trip to Benfica next Thursday and Alan Pardew could rest some key players, although Hatem Ben Arfa (hamstring), Fabricio Coloccini (back) and Tim Krul (ankle) are out, while Yohan Cabaye (groin) is still a doubt.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- A win for Manchester City will make it their seventh consecutive Premier League victory over Alan Pardew’s men.
- City have beaten Newcastle 14 times in the Premier League; only against Aston Villa (18 times) have they won more.
- Yaya Toure (pictured right) has scored more league goals (three) against Newcastle than against any other Premier League side.
- City have dropped seven points in their last seven league games at the Etihad Stadium, having only dropped six in the previous 36.
- With 31, the Magpies have used more players in the top flight than any other side.
- Newcastle have picked up just eight points on their travels this season; only Reading (five) have registered fewer.
- Pardew’s men are the worst victims of late goals, having conceding 15 in the last 15 minutes of league matches; more than any other side.
- The Magpies’ last – and only – win in the city of Manchester came against City at Maine Road in September 2000.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester City FC 2-0 Newcastle
- 14.96 %
Manchester City FC 1-2 Newcastle
- 14.44 %
Manchester City FC 3-1 Newcastle
- 11.06 %
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Oct 30, 2013||Newcastle 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 19, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Newcastle 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - Newcastle 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 15, 2012||Newcastle 1 - Manchester City FC 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||May 6, 2012||Newcastle 0 - Manchester City FC 2|
|Manchester City FC|
|Dec 10, 2013||FC Bayern München 2 - Manchester City FC 3||UCL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Southampton 1 - Manchester City FC 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||West Bromwich Albion 2 - Manchester City FC 3||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Manchester City FC 3 - Swansea 0||EPL|
|Nov 27, 2013||Manchester City FC 4 - FC Viktoria Plzeň 2||UCL|
The Argentina full-back has been one of Manchester City’s – and even the Premier League’s – most consistent performers over the past few years, but he also sometimes comes up with a stroke of South American genius. Roberto Mancini may have written off his side in title race but he will still want to ensure second place, and Zabaleta is the man to inspire some of City’s stars who have been off colour this season.
It’s been an odd season for the Senegal striker. Several poor performances have been accompanied by fleeting moments of brilliance, and that’s what makes him so good to watch because you never know when he’ll produce. If the Magpies want a good result in this game, however, Cisse will need to me on the mark.
The international break is over and it’s back to business in the Premier League, but Newcastle have other endeavours on their mind and it could prove costly for this match. Alan Pardew’s men will have one eye on Thursday's Europa League quarter-final against Benfica, while City will be desperate to perk up their fading title challenge.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed