West Ham - Tottenham Preview: Visitors look for win to further top four ambitions in London derby
Spurs will be aiming for a win to improve their Champions League qualification hopes while the Hammers are targeting safety, sitting only seven points clear of the relegation zone
By Rhys Turrell
Demel, Reid, Tomkins, Taylor
J Cole, Nolan, Jarvis
Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto
Lennon, Dempsey, Bale
West Ham manager Sam Allardyce will be hoping to welcome James Collins (hamstring) back to his first team squad after the Wales defender was ruled out for the Hammers' previous six games, but he may not start.
Joey O'Brien (thigh) is a doubt after he limped out the Irons' defeat at Aston Villa last time out, while fellow defender George McCartney (knee) will definitely be missing.
Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas is likely to be without striker Jermain Defoe (ankle) and midfielder Tom Huddlestone (knee) for the trip to Upton Park, although long-term absentee Younes Kaboul (knee) is close to a return, and could make the bench, and Hugo Lloris is expected to replace Brad Friedel in goal.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- West Ham's last seven Premier League goals have been scored by different players.
- The Irons have neither scored nor conceded a goal at Upton Park between the 50th and 60th minute this season.
- Sam Allardyce's men have won just twice in the league in 2013, with both victories coming at Upton Park (against Norwich and Swansea).
- Tottenham attacker Gareth Bale (pictured) has scored six out the club's last eight goals in all competitons.
- Spurs have conceded more than a third (36 per cent) of their away goals between the 70th and 80th minutes this season. However, they have scored 39% of their goals in the same timeframe.
- Andre Villas-Boas' side have conceded more than one goal only once in their last 13 games in all competitons (against Leeds in the FA Cup).
- Spurs have the second-best away form in the league, having gone five games unbeaten on the road.
- Monday night's game marks 20 years since the death of former West Ham and England captain Bobby Moore, and before kick-off a minute's applause will be observed, as well as a fan mosaic bearing his shirt in the Bobby Moore Stand.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
West Ham 0-2 Tottenham
- 15.11 %
West Ham 1-2 Tottenham
- 14.65 %
West Ham 1-1 Tottenham
- 12.04 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 6, 2013||Tottenham 0 - West Ham 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 25, 2013||West Ham 2 - Tottenham 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Nov 25, 2012||Tottenham 3 - West Ham 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 19, 2011||Tottenham 0 - West Ham 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 25, 2010||West Ham 1 - Tottenham 0|
|Dec 3, 2013||Crystal Palace 1 - West Ham 0||EPL|
|Nov 30, 2013||West Ham 3 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||West Ham 0 - Chelsea FC 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Norwich City 3 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Nov 2, 2013||West Ham 0 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|12||Ricardo Vaz Te||Striker|
|-||Moussa Sidi Yaya Dembélé||Midfielder|
The Senegal midfielder has become a key presence in the Irons' midfield since his move from Wigan in the summer, with his power and pace vital in Sam Allardyce's efficient West Ham side. Although not best known for his goalscoring, the 25-year-old can chip in with a key strike here and there, and is always a threat when in full stride going forward. Along with Mark Noble and Kevin Nolan he forms a strong-looking midfield triumvirate, and you can expect them to be working hard to ensure Tottenham have as little possession as possible in the middle of the park.
Who else but the Wales winger? The 23-year-old has been in stunning form in recent weeks, single-handedly earning his club vital points as they aim for a place in the top four and Champions League football next season. With some pundits claiming Bale deserves to be mentioned in the best player in the league reckoning, the dynamic attacker has grasped the nettle and added different elements to his game, with his effectiveness centrally another thing for defenders to worry about. That movement, pace and power form a potent set of skills and West Ham will know they'll have to keep a very close eye on him all evening if they want to take anything from the game.
It will have been more than two weeks since West Ham's last game when they host Tottenham on Monday night, and that break may count in their favour, or they may not be as sharp as their visitors, who played Lyon in the Europa League on Thursday evening. This London derby is sure to produce an excellent atmosphere, but it will be Tottenham who fancy their chances against a Hammers team with indifferent form since the turn of the year.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed