Manchester United - Liverpool Preview: The Premier League's top scorers meet at Old Trafford
Robin van Persie leads the way in the scoring charts with 16 goals this season to Luis Suarez's 15, but the visitors face a tough task against a side unbeaten in seven at home
By Joe Doyle
Rafael, Evans, Vidic, Evra
Valencia, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs
Van Persie, Chicharito
Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Downing
Gerrard, Lucas, Allen
Sturridge, Suarez, Sterling
Wayne Rooney is unlikely to feature due to a knee problem, having only just returned to training. Elsewhere, Phil Jones (knock) is also back in training but unlikely to play, while Anderson and Nani (both hamstring) could be in the squad for Sunday, but look set to feature from the bench, if at all.
For the visitors, Jose Enrique (hamstring) is likely to be out until February following his injury against QPR, so Stewart Downing could make an appearance in his place, otherwise Andre Wisdom could come into the side at right-back, with Glen Johnson slotting in on the left side.
Martin Kelly (knee) remains a long-term absentee, as does Fabio Borini (broken foot), though the striker is due back soon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United striker Robin van Persie not only leads the Premier League top scorers chart with 16 goals, but is also joint fourth in assists, with six.
- Luis Suarez has the joint-second worst discipline in the league, having picked up seven yellow cards this season, while Paul Scholes is in the top 15 for foul play with six yellow cards from 14 appearances.
- United have the best record in the division when falling behind this season, having won 24 points from losing positions.
- Van Persie has scored five in his last six games against Liverpool, including the winner in the two sides' meeting at Anfield earlier this season.
- Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard (pictured) has created the most goals this season in the Premier League, with eight assists.
- The Reds face a tough task at Old Trafford, with the hosts winning their past seven matches in a row at home, and are unbeaten in nine in the league.
- Brendan Rodgers' side have only won one match when losing at half-time this season, after going in behind at the break on nine occasions.
- However, the Reds have not lost when winning at half-time this season, taking three points in six of seven matches. Liverpool are 12/1 to win 2-1 with bet365.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Man Utd. 3-1 Liverpool
- 17.52 %
Man Utd. 2-1 Liverpool
- 9.95 %
Man Utd. 1-2 Liverpool
- 9.61 %
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 25, 2013||Man Utd. 1 - Liverpool 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 1, 2013||Liverpool 1 - Man Utd. 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 13, 2013||Man Utd. 2 - Liverpool 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 23, 2012||Liverpool 1 - Man Utd. 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Feb 11, 2012||Man Utd. 2 - Liverpool 1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Man Utd. 0 - Newcastle 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Man Utd. 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Man Utd. 2||EPL|
|Nov 27, 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Man Utd. 5||UCL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Cardiff City 2 - Man Utd. 2||EPL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|14||Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez||Striker|
Brendan Rodgers will be looking to keep things tight in the opening stages and launch some decisive counterattacks with a recently-bolstered frontline. United will have to be wary about the threat of Luis Suarez, who is in top form for the visitors. However, United have been in great form recently and have scored 54 goals in 21 games this season - so expect them to add a couple more against their rivals.