Wigan - Manchester United Preview: Van Persie looking to keep up scoring record
The Dutch striker has scored an impressive 62 goals in 75 games since the beginning of January 2011, with 14 goals in 20 appearances this season for the Old Trafford side
By Joe Doyle
Caldwell, Ramis, Figueroa
Boyce, Jones, McCarthy, Beausejour
Di Santo, Kone
Smalling, Evans, Vidic, Evra
Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick, Young
Van Persie, Chicharito
Roberto Martinez has no new injury worries following Wigan's 3-0 win over Aston Villa on Saturday, so the Spaniard is likely to name an unchanged lineup.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin) could be in with a chance of returning, but it is still unlikely at this stage. Albert Crusat (knee), Ryo Miyaichi (ankle), Piscu (hamstring) and Ben Watson (shin) all remain sidelined.
Phil Jones could return for Manchester United after picking up a knock in the draw against Swansea, but Wayne Rooney (knee) remains out for the visitors. Nani (hamstring) will be out for a few more weeks, while Anderson (hamstring) is also absent.
Shinji Kagawa could be rested after making his return from injury against West Brom, but otherwise Sir Alex Ferguson has a fit team to pick from.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan's 3-0 victory over Aston Villa is their second-highest away win in the Premier League.
- The Latics' 1-0 win over Sir Alex Ferguson's side last season was the first points they have ever recorded against the Red Devils.
- The loss for Manchester United to Shaun Maloney's goal was one of five defeats for them last season, and one of only five home wins for Roberto Martinez's side.
- Wigan have failed to score in seven of their 20 matches this season, 35 per cent in all.
- Manchester United have 49 points after 20 games, the third highest total at this stage of the year in Premier League history.
- Robin van Persie (pictured) has 62 goals in 75 games since January 2011.
- The Old Trafford side have scored 18 goals from corners this season.
- Patrice Evra has scored six Premier League goals for Manchester United, four of which have come this season.
- Michael Carrick has made 3226 passes in the Premier League this season, 577 more than any other player.
- The opposition has scored first against United in 11 of their 20 Premier League games this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-3 Man Utd.
- 17.93 %
Wigan Athletic 0-3 Man Utd.
- 17.12 %
Wigan Athletic 0-4 Man Utd.
- 9.55 %
|FA Community Shield (FACS)||Aug 11, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Man Utd. 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 1, 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Man Utd. 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 15, 2012||Man Utd. 4 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 11, 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Man Utd. 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 26, 2011||Man Utd. 5 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|Dec 12, 2013||NK Maribor 2 - Wigan Athletic 1||EL|
|Dec 7, 2013||Millwall 2 - Wigan Athletic 1||ENG2|
|Dec 4, 2013||Leeds 2 - Wigan Athletic 0||ENG2|
|Dec 1, 2013||Wigan Athletic 1 - Derby 3||ENG2|
|Nov 28, 2013||Wigan Athletic 1 - SV Zulte-Waregem 2||EL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|14||Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez||Striker|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
His manager recently stated that the attacker was "one of the most gifted players" in the Premier League, and scored the only goal in the game between the sides last year in the same fixture. His link up play with Arouna Kone and Franco Di Santo has been great recently, and United will have to watch out for him in and around the box.
The midfielder was on loan at Wigan in 2010-11 and earned their Player of the Season award. In recent weeks, has formed a good partnership with Michael Carrick, and combined with him to score a nice goal against Sunderland. United have not been beaten in eight games, and Wigan will have to make sure the 23-year-old is not afforded too much time and space on the ball.
With United conceding first on 11 occasions this season in the league, and having kept only four clean sheets, it would be reasonable to assume that Wigan may score against the league leaders. However, in the games when they have gone behind, the Red Devils have won eight, and they should have enough to beat Roberto Martinez's team, with strength in depth now available to Sir Alex Ferguson with players such as Shinji Kagawa returning from injury.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed