Liverpool - Sunderland Preview: Suarez looking to continue fine scoring record against visitors
Jose Enrique and John O'Shea are expected to miss the Anfield clash after limping out of their respective weekend games, as the Reds look for a fifth win in seven league games
By Alex Young
Johnson, Agger, Sktel, Downing
Gerrard, Lucas, Allen
Suso, Suarez, Sterling
Gardner, Cuellar, Bramble, Kilgallon
McClean, Sessegnon, Colback, Johnson
Jose Enrique (hamstring) was withdrawn during Sunday's 3-0 win over QPR so is a doubt for the January 2 clash, with Stewart Downing likely to fill in at left-back. The Spaniard joins Martin Kelly (knee) on the treatment table, but Brad Jones (illness) could return.
Wes Brown (knee) is expected to miss the trip to Anfield, while John O'Shea (hamstring) failed to complete the full 90 minutes of the 2-1 loss to Tottenham on Saturday and is likely to miss the game along with long-term absentee Lee Cattermole (knee).
Titus Bramble replaced the former Manchester United defender against Spurs, and could continue to deputise against Liverpool.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool have lost just three times in 15 Premier League encounters against Sunderland, but have won just one of the last five clashes.
- Luis Suarez has scored in three of his four Premier League appearances against Sunderland.
- Steven Gerrard is one of only two midfielders (alongside Arsenal's Mikel Arteta) to play every minute of every Premier League game this season.
- Liverpool hit the woodwork on 26 occasions during 2012, more than any other team.
- Martin O'Neill has faced Liverpool 18 times in the Premier League, winning six, drawing seven and losing five.
- Sunderland are unbeaten in the Premier League this season in games in which Steven Fletcher (pictured right) has scored.
- The Black Cats have won just one of their last 15 Premier League away games.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 3-1 Sunderland
- 16.4 %
Liverpool 2-1 Sunderland
- 14.16 %
Liverpool 2-0 Sunderland
- 13.72 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 29, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Liverpool 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 2, 2013||Liverpool 3 - Sunderland 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 15, 2012||Sunderland 1 - Liverpool 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 10, 2012||Sunderland 1 - Liverpool 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 13, 2011||Liverpool 1 - Sunderland 1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham 1||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Hull 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|Nov 23, 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|Nov 9, 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|24||Carlos Javier Cuéllar||Defender|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed