Tottenham - Swansea Preview: Swans aim to record first ever win at White Hart Lane
The Welsh club have never won a league match against Spurs, losing 12 times and picking up just two points, but travel to north London buoyed by Capital One Cup progression
By Ewan Roberts
Walker, Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton
Lennon, Sandro, Dembele, Dempsey
Rangel, Chico, Williams, Davies
Dyer, Michu, De Guzman
Gareth Bale (hamstring) remains sidelined for the home side, so Clint Dempsey is likely to continue on the left of midfield in his absence.
The match may have come too soon for Scott Parker (Achilles), who has returned to full training and played 90 minutes in a recent friendly, though he could be named on the bench.
Michael Dawson (hamstring) is a doubt for the match, while Benoit Assou-Ekotto (knee) has only just returned to light training. Younes Kaboul (knee) is out until next year.
Michael Laudrup is still without first-choice goalkeeper Michel Vorm (groin), so 34-year-old German back-up Gerhard Tremmel should continue between the sticks.
Ashley Williams served a one-match suspension for picking up five yellow cards in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday, but will return to the starting XI on Sunday.
Neil Taylor (ankle) remains a long-term absentee for the Swans, so Ben Davies should continue at left-back. Right-back Angel Rangel was rested mid-week against Middlesbrough, but should return to the team at White Hart Lane.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Tottenham have failed to score just once this season, only Everton have hit the back of the net as regularly as the Lilywhites.
- The north London club lost a Premier League match in which Mousa Dembele had started for the first time against Everton last week (six wins out of six previously).
- Spurs have conceded nine goals in the final 10 minutes of matches and scored none – if matches ended after 80 minutes they would be top of the league.
- Only one player – Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin (112) – has recovered possession more often than Tottenham midfielder Sandro (111 combined tackles and interceptions).
- Spurs and Swansea have received two bookings apiece for diving this season, the joint second most in the league behind Chelsea (four).
- Swansea’s Spanish attacker Michu (pictured right) leads the Premier League’s scoring charts, with 12 goals in 16 appearances this season.
- The Welsh side have failed to win on all six occasions when they have been losing at half-time, drawing two and losing four.
- But the Liberty Stadium outfit have won every game in which they have led at half-time (three out of three).
- Swansea’s six game unbeaten run – which included a 2-0 victory on their last trip to north London against Arsenal – came to an end last week against Norwich. They are 16/1 to beat Spurs 1-0 with bet365.
- The Swans and Tottenham are two of just six Premier League teams yet to win a penalty this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Sign up today with Coral and get a £50 FREE bet - no strings attached!|
|Sign up today with BetVictor and get a £25 FREE BET!|
|Sign up with Betway for an exclusive bet £10 get £20 free bet!|
Top 3 Predictions
Tottenham 3-1 Swansea
- 13.94 %
Tottenham 2-1 Swansea
- 13.51 %
Tottenham 2-0 Swansea
- 10.87 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Aug 25, 2013||Tottenham 1 - Swansea 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 30, 2013||Swansea 1 - Tottenham 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 16, 2012||Tottenham 1 - Swansea 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 1, 2012||Tottenham 3 - Swansea 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 31, 2011||Swansea 1 - Tottenham 1|
|Dec 7, 2013||Sunderland 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Dec 4, 2013||Fulham 1 - Tottenham 2||EPL|
|Dec 1, 2013||Tottenham 2 - Man Utd. 2||EPL|
|Nov 28, 2013||Tromsø IL 0 - Tottenham 2||EL|
|Nov 24, 2013||Manchester City FC 6 - Tottenham 0||EPL|
|-||Moussa Sidi Yaya Dembélé||Midfielder|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
The American is beginning to show signs of his old Fulham form in a Lilywhite shirt. Dempsey has scored or assisted four goals in his last five games in all competitions, not including the header that rebounded off the crossbar, onto the back of Panathinaikos goalkeeper Orestis Karnezis and over the line. With Gareth Bale injured, and the Texan likely to deputise on the left wing in his absence, the onus is on Dempsey to produce for Spurs now more than ever.
|Jonathan De Guzmán|
While summer signing Michu has hogged most of the plaudits in south Wales, Swansea’s Canadian-born attacking midfielder has been equally impressive. The 25-year-old, on loan from Villarreal, has brought more directness to the Swans’ midfield, and will provide accurate set-pieces against a Tottenham defence often vulnerable from free kicks and corners. De Guzman has hit form recently, scoring and assisting in Swansea’s 4-3 loss against Norwich last week.
Both sides have scored and conceded freely this season, so the match is likely to be open and end-to-end. Swansea have been hit and miss on their travels, though will likely enjoy a lot of possession at White Hart Lane, where Spurs have struggled at home this year. The Lilywhites may find their time on the ball limited against the Swans, but that could play into their own counterattacking strengths. With most of Swansea’s side having played on Wednesday night, Tottenham will be fitter and fresher and eager to make up for last week's loss to Everton.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed