Arsenal - Swansea Preview: Gunners look for return to winning ways against in-form Swans
The Welsh side travel to the Emirates on a high after their 3-1 demolition of West Brom last time out, but face the north London club who are looking to move back up the table
By Chris Teale
Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs
Walcott, Wilshere, Cazorla
Rangel, Williams, Chico, Davies
Dyer, Britton, Ki, Hernandez
Arsenal defenders Laurent Koscielny (thigh) and Bacary Sagna (foot) are both rated as serious doubts after picking up knocks in the 1-1 draw with Everton in midweek.
Kieran Gibbs and Carl Jenkinson should come into the defence as replacements for the pair.
Otherwise, Gunners manager Arsene Wenger has no new injury worries, with Andre Santos, Abou Diaby and Lukasz Fabianski suffering from long-term problems.
Swansea striker Danny Graham’s recovery from illness should be nearly complete, so he may make the bench for this clash having missed the win against West Brom.
Swans manager Michael Laudrup has no fresh injury or suspension problems, so may choose an unchanged team after their impressive display against the Baggies.
Neil Taylor, Michel Vorm and Darnel Situ remain out with long-term injuries.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Arsenal are on a four-match unbeaten run in the Premier League, but their victory during the streak came against Tottenham in the north London derby in their last home game.
- Theo Walcott’s goal against Everton was the 100th in Premier League history to be scored inside the first minute.
- Since August 2011, Arsenal have won 71% of the games Aaron Ramsey has started, compared to just 40% when he has not.
- Last season, both teams took home victories in the two corresponding league fixtures, with Arsenal winning 1-0 at the Emirates thanks to a goal from Andriy Arshavin.
- Swansea are currently on a five-match unbeaten run in the Premier League, managing two victories and three draws in those games including points against Chelsea and Liverpool.
- After his double against West Brom, Wayne Routledge (pictured) has now scored four goals in 14 league games this season, compared to just one in his previous 127 games in the top flight.
- Swans defender Kyle Bartley began his career at Arsenal, coming through their academy system and making his debut for the club in a Champions League match against Olympiakos in 2009.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Arsenal 8-0 Swansea
- 13.8 %
Arsenal 3-1 Swansea
- 13.59 %
Arsenal 2-0 Swansea
- 11.37 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 28, 2013||Swansea 1 - Arsenal 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Mar 16, 2013||Swansea 0 - Arsenal 2|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 16, 2013||Arsenal 1 - Swansea 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 6, 2013||Swansea 2 - Arsenal 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 1, 2012||Arsenal 0 - Swansea 2|
|Mar 8, 2014||Arsenal 4 - Everton 1||FA|
|Mar 1, 2014||Stoke 1 - Arsenal 0||EPL|
|Feb 22, 2014||Arsenal 4 - Sunderland 1||EPL|
|Feb 19, 2014||Arsenal 0 - FC Bayern München 2||UCL|
|Feb 16, 2014||Arsenal 2 - Liverpool 1||FA|
|20||Jonathan De Guzmán||Midfielder|
It took the England international just 51 seconds to find the net in Arsenal's last game, against Everton, and has managed to hit a rich vein of form despite speculation surrounding his future at the Emirates. He will be crucial to the Gunners’ attacking play if they are to take a victory here and climb back towards the Champions League places.
Michu is widely regarded as one of the bargains of the season having already scored eight goals in the Premier League, and costing Swansea just £2 million from Rayo Vallencano. The attacker could be a real handful for a Gunners defence that is depleted by injury and, perhaps, low on confidence having failed to keep a clean sheet against Everton last time out.
Swansea have once again wowed the Premier League with their attractive brand of football, and present a very stern test for Arsenal on their home ground. However, the Gunners should have just enough to overcome the Welsh side’s threat and take three points at the Emirates.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed